Denon AVR 1602 Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Just curious. I have my surround mode for the receiver set to AUTO. When I put in a dvd with dolby digital 5.1 surround it will automatically go into that mode. If the disc is DTS capable I switch to it in the dvd-disc menu & it goes into that mode. However I've notice some dvds when I pop it in the reciever will only display PROLOGIC DVD. When I see this, I switch my dvd-player sound to PCM & put the receiver into PL II Movie mode. I guess not all dvd's are created equal? Is this the correct method for the best sound for dvd's that are not DD5.1 or DTS?

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I don't have the Denon, but HK version of DPL II Logic 7 is the way I listen to non DD/DTS 5.1 DVDs via PCM. You get good sound from PCM. The other way I found to be more effective is to have the DVD player and vcr go into the t.v. and out to the receiver. By using the stereo expander from the audio mode of the t.v. you really think you got 5.1 going in a lot of applications. Hope that answers you question a bit.

3. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Johnson,
    I have a 1602 and that is set to Auto mode. Any material that is not DD 5.1 or DTS I just use PL II. You should not have to make any change on the receiver, it should default to PL II automatically.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

4. MichaelWRX

MichaelWRX Auditioning

I have the Denon 1602 and I know what you are on about. The manual actually says that when it senses a PCM signal it will display PLII..If you want the page reference let me know.

Cheers

Michael

5. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I have the 1802. When I first put any movie in and its at the intro or the menus it always displays PL II. Once the actual movie itself begins to play it will switch to DD 5.1 or DTS. It does this because most intros and menus are in 2 channel. So whenever the receiver detects 2 channel material it defaults to PL II. I havent ran across to many DVDs that dont contain at least DD 5.1.