Denon AVR-1601 FM Antenna?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Hi --
    I was wondering if anyone knows about the jacks for an FM antenna? On the back of the 1601 is a coaxial connection for an FM antenna. It came with a small wire that just attaches to the pin inside the coax connector. I couldn't get good enough reception so I figured I could by a better antenna with a coax connector to fit snug. I went out and bought this antenna, take it out of the box and it too has a male coax connector! (The receiver also has a "male" coax connector - I hope thats the right term for coax.)
    Anyway, is this Denon not standard? It seems as if the antenna vendors are expecting a female connector on the back of the amp.

2. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I don't think there is a standard, although a male F-connector on the back of the receiver is certainly rather odd. In any case, for a couple bucks you should be able to buy a coupler at Radio Shack that'll allow you to join two male F-plugs. It's generally meant for joining two RG-6 or RG-59 cables, commonly used for cable TV, but should work with an FM antenna -- assuming that's really a male connector on the back of the AVR-1601.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

well, I tried a coupler that I had....female on both ends but it wouldn't fit because it was threaded.
    and i double checked. the FM jack on the back is a male (pin sticking out of the center). the AM connector is two spring loaded connectors.