Denon avr-1082/3802 calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Apr 11, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I just set out to calibrate my system and I find it easier to use the internal tones than the avia disc. Internal will allow you to do all 7 speakers. Here is my question. When you go into the test tone menu the receiver automatically goes to 00 in volume. If I calibrate to 85db most of my channels are close if not set on +12db Is this ok? It seems to me that they shouldnt be that high. should I try calibrating to 75db? Help!!!!

2. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Anybody?

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I can't anser your question directly, but having just helped a friend set-up his 1802, I can offer you my opinion.

Most internal tones that I know of call for a 75 dB setting. If you calibrated to 85 with the internal tones, I can believe that you would have to goose the channel levels.

That said, does the manual give any advice, or do they just say to make the channels match?

I did use AVIA (my friend only had a 5.1 set-up). We set the volume knob to 00, and adjusted each channel for 85 dB. The channel levels did not need to be adjusted by more than a couple dB of each other.

Good Luck,

Brian

4. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

I have the 3802, and almost I'm certain that when you use the internal tones, you should be calibrated to 75db. I believe their is a THX specification that receiver tones should be calibrated to 75db, and almost everything but AVIA has you calibrate to 75. Only use 85db if you are using the AVIA tones. Personally, I used AVIA, since I had it, but the 3802 seems to be pretty dead on, so you probably won't get much difference between the two as long as you use the appropriate reference point.

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Thanks guys!!! I will be re-calibrating once I get home. Just a side note. Rat Shack sales people are just terrible! I called my local store asking for the meter " we dont sell anything like that" I said are you sure? "Im positive,we dont" I hung up called back 5 minutes later and got the same person asked again. Sure we have one left! He must have checked after I hung up the first time and found that lo and behold we Do carry that item!

6. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

I have a 2802 and see exactly the same thing you do. I therefore calibrate to 75db at 00 level.

Yes, the internal test tones are pretty dead on, so I use the internal tones instead of Avia. Using Avia is tough cuz you have to push all these buttons on the remote at the right sequence/time and at 85db(AVIA) my ears start to hurt and I push the wrong button and the test tone is stilll blasting away ugh.

7. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Oddly enough, if you pause AVIA, the receiver switches to PLII from DD, so you can only adjust it while it's playing. I have the same issue with 85db playing continuously being awfully loud (although you wouldn't know it from talking to my wife). I would pause it to adjust the level, then wonder why my calibration was messed up when I would play it again. I suppose the best scenario would probably be to adjust using internal tones, then do a final check with AVIA.

8. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

delete

9. Mattlock

Mattlock Auditioning

Hello, I am new to this forum.

Can anyone tell me if the AVIA test disc has a test for checking polarity(phase)for the surround channels in a 5.1 setup? If not, is there another test disc that does?

10. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

11. Mattlock

Mattlock Auditioning

Thanks for the info.

Overall how do you rate the Sound and Vision disc for setting up audio? Does it have video setup, as well?