What's new

Denon AVC-A10SE - Possible to use it in the USA? (1 Viewer)

Eggert

Agent
Hi,

I live in Iceland and I have a Denon AVC-A10SE (the equivalent of the AVR-4800). This fall I will be moving to the US and I am wondering wether it will be possible to use this amp in the US.

The amp is rated for a power supply of AC 230 V, and 50 Hz. I have already checked out a power transformer and I can purchase a transformer that will convert US voltage (AC 110 V, if I remember correctly) into AC 230 V.

What I am not sure about is the Hz. The transformer does not convert 60 Hz (as is used in the US) to 50 Hz (and I gathered from the guy I talked to that it is impossible or very difficult to transform the Hz) and I am not sure wether the amp can handle 60 Hz (it isn't specified, either in the manual or on the amp itself).

Any thoughts on this? Will the amp handle 60 Hz?

If I decide to purchase a new amp to use while in the US (going to school) I would probably be looking into the Denon AVR-3802. What is the best price I could find on this unit?

Best regards,
Eggert O.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Every single Reciever I have ever used has been a US model and therefore they all have had a power supply rated AC 110v 60hz. By the way I live in India where we have electricity rated AC 230 V and 50hz and currently I am using the Denon AVR5800 (US model number) here, with no problems whatsoever. Therefore by simple logic since I have never had any problems in using the US model here, I see no reason why you should not be able to use the Denon AVC-A10SE in the US. Ofcourse you will require a transformer/converter that will convert the AC 110V to AC 230V.
By the way although I cannot be a 100% sure about this, but the 'Hz' do not matter because most consumer electronics work on 'DC' internally and therefore whether the AC power is 50Hz or 60Hz is irrelevant. This is something I was told to by a Pioneer technician in the US, when I had called their technical department to ask the same question you have now, when I was moving back to India from the US in 1992.
Hope this helps.

Sanjay
Member since 1997

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree that from what I know (which some days seems like not very much) the Denon will make the 50Hz to 60Hz transition fine. Usually only turntables or some cassette decks have frequency relates problems (due to the AC motors.)

The standard US voltage is not 110 volts AC but 120 volts AC. If the converter transformer you are looking at only goes to 110v, I don't know if that could be an issue?? My guess is that it probably wouldn't be.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AC converter needs to have sufficient output amperage. The A10SE is equivalent to the 4801 (or 02 I can't remember for sure) series (less the tuner) over here and you need a fairly decent supply of power to realize all of your 10SE's benefits.

Last, as I mentioned above, the 10SE is a notch above the 3802. So if you decide to buy a new box, you might want to look at a 4802, not a 3802.

Eggert

Agent
Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AC converter needs to have sufficient output amperage.
I will take the spec sheet for the receiver to the company that will make the transformer for me. Just to make sure they build me one that will be a perfect fit for the receiver.

Best regards,
Eggert.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks