What's new

Denon and Marantz to merge (1 Viewer)

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Cos its only one letter off MORON"

LMAO...

On a side note... DenonJeff just relayed the 5803 will have 100Mhz component video switching. Currently, i'm only aware of B&K with this much bandwidth.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
This makes perfect sense, they are both vehemently anti-online sales. They now only need one warranty-denying department.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm. If I were them, Distribution is definitely one area I'd merge. Sales & marketing as well. I can see them maintaining separate brands for a long time & separate R&D, but I can't imagine they wouldn't merge a lot of their ops to gain efficiency.

W

Will

Speaking of Denon, what is happening with the repeatedly (as I understand it) delayed upgrade to the Denon 5800, these days?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
For those interested, here's the official press release. Contrary to what DenonJeff (Talmadge) on the AVS forum indicated, it appears there will be some shared engineering. It will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Marantz receivers with SHARC processors...?

"Pine Brook, NJ, March 7, 2002 - Denon Electronics (USA), Inc. today announced its Japanese parent company Denon, Ltd. will join a business consolidation with Marantz Japan Inc. under a newly created holding company, initially named D&M Holdings Inc. Following the consolidation, which is expected to be completed by May 2002, both companies will form a single global corporate entity. Ripplewood Holdings L.L.C, Denon's largest shareholder, will become the majority shareholder in D&M Holdings, which will be traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) under TSEII: 6799.

Under D&M Holdings, Denon and Marantz will maintain operations as distinct brands, with separate product lines and distribution channels. Under the ownership of D&M Holdings, it is expected that the two companies will benefit from the integration of procurement, manufacturing, engineering and other business activities.

According to Denon Electronics (USA), Inc. Vice-President of Sales and Marketing Stephen Baker, the resulting business alliance will create a multi-brand corporation that is able to respond quickly to marketplace demands while maximizing the unique strengths and capabilities of Denon, as well as Marantz. "The combined resources and research and development capabilities of both companies will position D & M Holdings Inc. for leadership in the fast-growing home theater and premium audio marketplace," he noted. "Denon is having another record year in the United States. We have diligently pursued a value-added market strategy and have been making strides in the high-end and custom-installation markets. This will improve our ability to continue delivering advanced, innovative products and continue to provide the highest levels of customer service to both consumers and our valued retail partners."

Denon Electronics is Japan's oldest audio company. Founded more than 90 years ago, the company has a long history of technical innovations, including the development and first commercialization of PCM digital audio."

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Big question???????? My last Marantz was made by Sony in 1974. What is the history of this company???

I also thought that in the begining it was an American firm. Pre 1970??????? Sony unloaded it in 1980?????? Not sure! Somewhere in their history they made super trash but changed. However, my mem banks are becoming corrupt. Any trivia mongers around?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
WOW!!! I actually remembered some useless information.

Quote=

We continue to be original.

Our original technology is our greatest asset.

Company History

1953 January Standard Radio Corp. established in Setagaya, Tokyo.

Started the manufacture and sales of portable radio receivers.

1954 September Started the manufacture and sales of tape recorders.

1960 March Sagamihara Factory completed in Sagamihara, Kanagawa prefecture.

1961 October Company headquarters moved to Sagamihara.

1962 January Started manufacture and sales of electrical phonograph.

February Integrated into Standard Radio Corp.(established May 10, 1946 as Hokushin Kogyo K.K., name changed in October 1961).

April Started sales and manufacture of communications equipment.

September Listed on the second section of the Tokyo Securities Exchange.

1969 January Standard Communications Corp. (USA) established in Los Angeles, U.S.A., as a sales company. (50% shareholder)

October Standard Denshi K.K. established in Sagamihara, Kanagawa prefecture, as a manufacturing subsidiary.

1971 October Received third-party capitalization from Superscope of the U.S.A. (50% shareholder).

1972 October Kumamoto Standard Corp. established in Kumamoto prefecture, and Miyako Standard Corp. established in Iwate prefecture as manufacturing subsidiaries.

1973 November Takada Standard Corp. established in Iwate prefecture as manufacturing subsidiary.

1975 March Company name changed from Standard Radio Corp. to Marantz Japan, Inc. Names of production subsidiaries were also changed as follows:

1980 December Major shareholder Superscope Corporation of the U.S.A. sells their entire share of stock to N. V. Philips Gloeilampenfabrieken

1982 October Started manufacture and sales of compact disc players.

1987 January Sagamihara Factory expanded; began the manufacture and sales of video tape decks.

1988 March Started the manufacture and sales of liquid-crystal display televisions.

1991 March Started the manufacture and sales of special low-power wireless radio equipment and related products.

1994 January Started the manufacture and sales of compact manufacturing robots.

August Established a representative office of Marantz Japan, Inc. in Hong Kong.

1995 April The AV group of Marantz Japan, Inc. receives ISO-9001 certification.

Miyako Audio Corp. receives ISO-9002 certification.

June Standard Communications Corp. receives ISO-9002 certification.

1996 February Kumamoto Marantz Corp. receives ISO-9002 certification.

1997 June The communications equipment group of Marantz Japan, Inc. receives ISO-9001 certification.

1998 January Purchased 25% of stock of Standard Communications Corp., becoming a 100% shareholder.

October Started the manufacture and sales of DVD Player.

1999 November Sagamihara Office of Marantz Japan, Inc. receives ISO-9001 certification.

December Started the manufacture and sales of Super Audio CD Player.

NOTE:

In May, 1994, N. V. Philips Gloeilampenfabrieken changed its name to Philips Electronics N.V.

and in April 1998, Philips Electronics N.V. chaged its name to Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.

Marantz America site=

THE GOLDEN AGE

For twenty years following the 1950's Marantz formed the heart of all ultimate Hi-Fi systems. The Thorens/Marantz/AR combination was legendary. But who was the man behind these extraordinary components?

Saul Marantz began designing advanced systems to play his own collection of 78's. His first effort, the Model 1 prototype, proved so superior that within three years it was in mass production. It had 12AX7 valves, a phone equaliser, seven inputs (one even for TV audio), and a loudness potentio-meter with continuous control.

Model 2 followed shortly, a power amplifier, which received an even more overwhelming reception from buyers and critics alike. This was the birth of the Marantz brand.

The Model 7C is perhaps the most famous of his creations. Over 9 years over 130,000 pieces were built making it one of the most successful high-end audio units ever. Model 9 was less famous when it arrived in the mid sixties, but it set another record: the most expensive power amplifier built by Marantz (and remains a most expensive collector's item). Its price tag is not why people remember it. The sound has few rivals, and can only be described as magnificent; warm and silk, but extremely powerful, lively, and above all, sculpted. Model 9 was Saul Marantz's masterpiece; a benchmark in hi-fi quality.

THE WORLD'S BEST TUNER?

Is it the Marantz 10, the Sequerra or the McIntosh 75? The question continues to provoke debate, but the qualities of the Marantz 10B are difficult to criticise. A built-in oscilloscope, signal location, stereo separation… the technology is remarkable. Even its aesthetic design remains elegant and evocative today - illuminated pale blue display on a black background.

Following the 10B the world was gripped by solid state fever and Marantz the company took a different path to Marantz the man. Today, the new generation of Marantz products are reclaiming the position and reputation built by Saul Marantz. The Marantz marque has an enviable heritage. Rest assured, the future will sound better than ever.

end quote////

TRVIA

OK//when did they make the trash????? And Sony is not the answer. That was some of the finest equipment ever made. Gold plated circuits on the circuit board when Superscope had it(very high end/like better than ES)!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I hope they don't change their brand name to Maroon or Dantz, or somthing like that ;) lol
Thats an interesting article though. I sure hope it doesn't mean highers prices from the brands due to lack of parent company competition.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A couple of interesting (to me) observations regarding this thread.
  • My wife's maiden name was Maron (but her father wasn't a Marantz, nor her mother a Denon).
  • Just as this merge is taking place I'm separating my Marantz MA-700 monoblocks from my Denon 5700. The Denon goes to my son when the Outlaw 755 arrives next week. Nature in balance?
  • I really have too much time on my hands to be able to think of these things.
:laugh:

Chip E

Screenwriter
Will said:
"Speaking of Denon, what is happening with the repeatedly (as I understand it) delayed upgrade to the Denon 5800, these days?"
Hey! who let you in? Go back to your "glass half empty" Outlaw thread! Lol... :D

Users who are viewing this thread