Denon 985s, will it be my next receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChadLB, Jun 29, 2004.

1. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Only time will tell....

Well I went to a local shop and brought my music and compared a couple of recievers.Ok well mainly the HK 430 and Denon 985s as they fall in the same price bracket. I had already took home a HK230 a while back and thought that was better than my Pioneer 811s/parasound combo - HK was hooked up to parasound as well.. After listening to tunes for around 2 hours I decided to give the Denon a try. I also currently have the Yamaha HTR 5760 at home and I am going to try and get the Pioneer Elite 53tx.
    I am going to do lots of testing this weekend(off Friday - Monday) with music and movies:
    Pioneer
    Yamaha
    Denon
    Pioneer Elite

Pioneer with parasound amp
    Yamaha with parasound amp
    Denon with parasound amp(not sure there will be a difference)
    Pioneer Elite - no parasound

This may help others that are looking to buy any of these items.
    I will also try and post some pics this weekend.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chad,

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the 985s (a.k.a. - the AVR-2805, silver model.)

I was able to see both the AVR-3805 and the 2805 on a shelf side-by-side. I didn't compare the sonics, but the 3805 seemed to have a bit more "heft" to it and I liked the read-out slightly more on the 3805. Again, these were just the impressions I collected in 5 minutes of visually comparing them.

Have you been able to secure a pretty good price on the 985 vs. the $899 list price on the AVR-2805?

Thanks ... and, I look forward to your updates on the 985.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Wayne,
    I bought it locally for $899 but if I like it I will see what they will do or I may look elsewhere for a better price.
    The 3805 is out of my price range so I really don't want to look at that one though I might as my contact for the Pioneer(his boss is being difficult). He will give me a great price on the Elite 53tx($800) but said something about not returning it at that price....well how am I suppose to do my testing. I will hear more about the Pioneer on friday.
    I may also go to the other shop that carries both the 2805/3805 and compare as the 985 was bought at another place and that is the only new denon they carried.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm giving the 2805/985s some strong consideration as a possible replacement for my elite 43TX. I would probably get the Denon in August/September then add an external amp in November/December (probably Rotel). Seems like it would make an exceptional pre/pro, especially with the room-eq being identical to the 3805 AND including the microphone. I found it for $650 shipped online (985s).

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Stephen,
    Yes I have seen it for those prices as well. I will hopefully to some testing starting friday.