What's new

Denon 910 vs. 1600. Also: are ESPs worth it? (1 Viewer)

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
After suffering through a few movies with my old Onkyo DV-CP500 player's poor progressive output, I decided to do a bit of research and get a new DVD player.

The ones that came up the most in my price range were the Denon DVD-910 and 1600.

I found an open box 1600 at The Good Guys yesterday for $249, so I snatched it up with a 3 year protection plan. Got it home, plugged it in, and am VERY happy with the picture.

However, they also had an open box 910 for $229. Are there any big differences between the two players aside from the DVD-A capability (I rarely listen to music)?

I was also thinking about whether the $60 I spend on the 3 year ESP was worth the money. What are your opinions on service agreements for peripherals?

Jeff_L

Agent
How long is the warranty without the ESP? Something like 90 days labor/1 years parts or something like that? A long time ago I bought an ESP for a VCR, the salesman sold me on it with the fact that with moving parts, who knows what might happen in a few years, and I could bring it in at any time for a thorough cleaning and so forth. Well after having a problem or two with it, one that wasn't realized for about 2 1/2 years, and several cleanings I was very happy I got the ESP. So depending on how good the warranty is, I would say that with some stuff where moving parts are involved an ESP is a good idea. But also keep in mind, how much was the product to begin with and how much is the ESP? I mean if the ESP costs a disproportionate amount of the cost of the actual item, I would say screw it, if it breaks I'll get a new one!

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
The player was $250 and the ESP was some $60. It would have been about $80 for a 5-year warranty.

I also bought one yesterday for my Panny 47WX53 (4 years for $269).

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
ESPs are only really useful for items prone to breaking. That being said, DVD players in general usually last quite a while if they are okay to start w/. So if it's not broken in the first 30-90 days, chances are, it'll still work in 3 years.

I would only want a warranty on televisions - especially the Wegas and on things like preamps. Expensive, prone to failure of some sort or require servicing over time.

The one good thing with GoodGuys and their plan is that you can usually do an upgrade later down the line and they'll give you back 100% of what you paid less the prorated insurance.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Denon DVD-1600 is a little better quality than the DVD-910, the latter is cheaper built in China. The Denon DVD-1600 is based on a Panasonic design which can develop a motor spindle error after a year or two, so a 3year ESP would be a good deal for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks