What's new

Denon 910 jittery? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up a 910 this weekend to try out. PQ was not especially impressive, but it has good color and it's progressive film mode is definitley better than my TV's. The problem is, on slow scenes, pauses and menus, the image jitters randomly, and only in progressive mode - if I put it in interlaced, it works fine.

I will eventually pick up a 2900, and I was just looking for an interim progressive player for now. Display - KV34HS510.

Next question: is the Si deinterlacer in the 2200 the same SiI504 from the 2900 or is it different, since this is the next player I will likely try out when I return the 910.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The image jitter you notice on menus, etc. on the DVD-910 is because they incorrectly turned set CSS=on for the Faroudja chip, this causes the color flicker problem. The older DVD-1600 doesn't have that problem since it was setup correctly.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks! I ended up taking the 910 back and picked up a 2200. I also found the info, the 2200 does use the Sil504.

I would have gone for a 1600 because it has the fli2200 deinterlacer, rated higher than the Sil504, but it has no coaxial digital out.

Anyway, the 2200 looks great so far.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Silicon Image de-interlacer is great too, for film-mode movies on DVD its actually slightly better quality than the Faroudja. The Faroudja is slightly better for video-mode. But both are top-rated chips.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Faroudja had great color, but the clarity of film based material with the Si does seem to be smoother. I got it calibrated last night, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
According to HTHIFI, ccs is off on the 910.

As for the jitter, my player shows no signs of this.

2200 = chroma bug

Vincent_S

Second Unit
quote:
2200 = chroma bug

This is the first I have heard of this. Can anyone that owns a DVD2200 chime in? I bet the person that posted that has never even seen one in use:rolleyes

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1600 can still be found new online, but has not been in stores for a while now.

This is the first I have heard of this. Can anyone that owns a DVD2200 chime in? I bet the person that posted that has never even seen one in use.
While this player DOES have suffer from CUE, I tried out some material used by Secrets, well known to display the issue clearly, and I can only see it once in a while, only when going frame by frame. It is basically unnoticable during playback. Secrets commented that, while the SiI504 DCDi fails the test, it is less noticable on the players using it (2200, 2900) than with many others. Thus, it's second highest rating, and the top rated players, using the fli2200 (xp30, RP82, 1600) are out of production, though I am not sure if any new players from any manufacturers are using this DCDi.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
New models from Denon like the DVD-910 and DVD-1200 have the Faroudja DCDi and are the successors to the DVD-1600. Mitsubishi also has a Fardoudja DCDi model the DD-8040 that is similar to the Denon DVD-1200 but cheaper around $250. So there are new models in production now.

Mike Capulli

Stunt Coordinator
Well I only ask because on hometheaterhifi.com's dvd player shootout.. The DVD1600 seemed pretty much flawless compared to the new models as far as like the layer change and a few other things. Perhaps Im wrong but are the newer models better than the 1600, which is the 1600 equivelant the 1200?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The DVD-1600 model is still superior to the newer 910 and 1200 models. Some Tweeters may have a 1600 left over, perhaps a display model.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
This is the first I have heard of this. Can anyone that owns a DVD2200 chime in? I bet the person that posted that has never even seen one in use
Wow, thanks. In fact, I have watched material on EVERY Denon player made over the past couple of years. But thanks for the loser assumption.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
While this player DOES have suffer from CUE, I tried out some material used by Secrets, well known to display the issue clearly, and I can only see it once in a while, only when going frame by frame. It is basically unnoticable during playback. Secrets commented that, while the SiI504 DCDi fails the test, it is less noticable on the players using it (2200, 2900) than with many others.
Yeah. I just can't handle the chroma bug anymore. Especially after watching "Down with Love", which had the problem manifested everywhere. :{

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mitsubishi also has a Fardoudja DCDi model the DD-8040 that is similar to the Denon DVD-1200 but cheaper around $250. So there are new models in production now.
I don't think they are using the fli2200 though. There are more than one Faroudja chipset out, and not all of them are the same quality.

I was going to return the 2200 for the 2900 for the better audio section, but since it is using the same DCDi, I think I will wait to see if there what the replacement for the 2900 is, hopefully it gets the new 216mHz Faroudja from the 5900 or an updated Si DCDi that does not have CUE.

NateB

Auditioning
I picked up the DVD-910 too and am having the same problem. It's starting to look as if this player has a compatibility problem with some Sony TV's (or vice versa). I'm having a problem when connected to my KV-34XBR910, you're seeing it on a KV-34HS510 and in another thread, Chad is having the same problem on his KV-34XBR800...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks