What's new

Denon 883 vs 1803 what is the difference? (1 Viewer)

Dennis_N

Agent
Well, this thread has basically made up my mind for me. I couldn't find a place that had a good price on the 1803. I then found nxgen with the 883 for 327. I think I might order that unless I can find a place that has the 1803 in stock for more or less the same price. Has anyone tried calling nxGen to see if they have the 1803 in stock but just not on their website? What has everyone found for a price on the 1803?

Dennis_N

Agent
Why would who care? Would you like to elaborate on your post please? YOu know, maybe add some relevant information to the post?

DanMU

Agent
Why would who care? Would you like to elaborate on your post please? YOu know, maybe add some relevant information to the post?
I said, and I quote exactly and entirely: "Why would you care? All the posts seem to say the 883 and 1803 are identical. " Did you read the thread? Just look at the title of the thread:

"Denon 883 vs 1803 what is the difference?"

It was established early in this thread that there's no difference. I believe I was entitled to assume that participants in this thread are already aware of that. Do I have to quote that stuff? Well, here: "There is no difference in the 883 and 1803. They are exactly the same." Is that relevant enough for you? I could not have been more plain and relevant. Sheesh.

Andy_SB

Agent
Just a caveat to those considering buying the AVR-883 at nxgen.com:
Wayne Ernst, who posted earlier in this thread, mentioned on another forum that he ended up having a bad experience with this vendor.
He could not get the two-zone outputs to work on his 883, so he requested an RMA from Nxgen within their 30-day return window. However, Nxgen did not actually receive the unit within the 30 days, so they charged him a 15% restocking fee. This policy was apparently not clear on the website. When Wayne called to complain, he was essentially given the brush-off and he is now in the midst of a credit card dispute to recover the restocking fee. :frowning:
That said, Nxgen actually has a good rating at Bizrate.com - it appears that their customer service is the main area in which they're lacking.
I just thought I'd point this out as I was all set to order an 883 from Nxgen myself until I heard about Wayne's bad experience. Hopefully he'll see this thread and elaborate.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Andy,
Thanks for relaying the message regarding the issues that I experienced with NXGen.com. They are very prompt when you place an order with them and the merchandise arrives exactly as promised - sealed, but not double-boxed.
However, it's their return policy that's disturbing. Not only do you have to account for a few days of getting the item shipped back to them, but also you need to add in the days that lapsed between the time you placed the order and the receiver was actually delivered to your house. Taking these numbers into consideration, you only have about 20 days to request an RMA from NXGen and get them to cover the return. This is not a realistic amount of time. Plus, when you look at their Web site, their RMA policy is not too clear. They indicate that they can use their discretion when assessing "restocking" fees. It's not a clear cut case of whether they do or whether they don't.
Finally, when I called NXGen after seeing the missing $49.## from the return amount on my credit card statement, the individual that I spoke with told me that they did me a "favor" by taking the receiver back - even though it was beyond 30 days (actually 32 days between the date of order and the date they received the defective receiver.) If a retailer has this kind of attitude, do you really want to deal with them?? There are plenty of other retailers out there who have clear cut policies without any ambiguous points in them. I'd suggest that anyone looking into a Denon receiver to look elsewhere. Even if you have a legitimate problem, NXGen may/may not be able to resolve the situation to your liking.
I was kind enough to tell the individual that I spoke with that I used to think quite highly of them as a retailer. I also informed him that I had recommended their company to many of my friends. However, due to their "silly" return policy, I was no longer going to purchase from them and I would also let many individuals in the Internet community know of my experience with NXGen so that nobody else has to experience what I had to go through. With that being said, the individual didn't say much other than "I guess that's the way it has to be, then." and we hung up at that point.
A bit later during the day of my conversation with NXGen, I filled out an on-line complaint form with their customer service group. I provided them with a few links to the various forums where their company was being discussed. Hopefully, this might lead to some future change - however, I won't be shopping there anytime soon.
Finally, my credit card company has a merchant relations group. They have asked me to complete a complete history of all the transactions, issues, etc. with this company. It does not appear as if it's going to be an easy process. However, it's my intent to follow through with the process. If I can't get my $49.## back from NXGen as a credit, I'll get it out of them in labor - the amount of effort they'll have to apply in answering to the credit card company.
When shopping for an item on the Internet, please look at more than the price. Dig through a merchant's site and read all of the fine print. I know this is sometimes hard to do, but I think it's essential. Otherwise, you might find yourself dealing with another company with policies similar to NXGen which will catch you off guard.
- I didn't mean to write a novel here. I guess I just had a lot to say. :)

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering, I know this is a denon thread...but I was considering the Pioneer 811 for the same price (about $300) Does everyone here know something I don't about the denon?

P.J.

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
if you can get them for the same price, go with the Denon. the 811 may have a few more bells and whistles, but the sound quality of the Denon, especially with music, will be superior.

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
For me, pre-outs are important, and I don't believe that the 1803 has them. I want my next upgrade to me an AMP in about 6 months, and I don't want to have to buy a new pre/pro. Plus, if the major problem with the Pioneer is the Power(Amps) when I add a new AMP, the processing should do fine. I assume at least. The 811 has alot of treats for such a low price.

P.J.

DanMU

Agent
And Peter, I've seen it said that you are not likely to notice the difference in practical usage. Many people report being very pleased with the Pioneer VSX-D811s.

shivas7

Auditioning
For what it's worth, I was intensley researching/shopping for receivers online and in B&M's for the past 2 weeks, determined to get a good price..I ended up ordering the 1803 from Crutchfield on Monday night, had it in the house Thursday PM...no hassles, 30 day return policy w/o restocking charge, authorized dealer....didn't save any money but the peace of mind was worth it...the unit seems good so far, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the manual is an embarassment...in 2003, to be putting out written material with typos and poor grammar is inexcusable....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks