What's new

Denon 883 vs 1803 what is the difference? (1 Viewer)

michael_berz

Auditioning
What is the difference between the Denon AVR-883 and the AVR-1803? They appear to have identical specifications and warranties. But the AVR-883 is significantly cheaper even from the same vendor. Went to Denon's web site but could not find any information on the AVR-883. Is there a difference in warranty or specifications? Thanks!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There is no difference in the 883 and 1803. They are exactly the same.

Denon has 2 different lines of receivers, Home Audio, and Specialty Home Theater. The Home Audio line has the 1403, 1603, 1803, 2802, and 3802. The Specialty Home Theater line has the 483, 683, 883, 982, and 1082.

483 = 1403
683 = 1603
883 = 1803
982 = 2802
1082 = 3802

The difference is some advertising and where they are sold. The Specialty Home Theater line is sold at Sears and some other chain type retailers. They are also often advertised with higher power ratings. What they are doing is advertising the 6ohm power, where the regular Home Audio line advertises the 8ohm power ratings.

Hope this helps.

michael_berz

Auditioning
That helps tremendously. Thanks!

What looking at getting the 1803 from ABT Electonics which is authorized by Denon to sell via the web. But was confused about the differences between the receivers and why I should I pay more for the same unit. Thanks!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
No problem. I have the 1803, and it's a great receiver, and build like a tank. Good luck and have fun.

Just curious, what speakers are you going to use with it? I'm currently using JBL N28 mains, N-Center, N24 surrounds and back surrounds, and a soon to be replaced (w/ DIY) sub in a 7.1 setup.

michael_berz

Auditioning
A good question! Was originally debating between The Denon 1803, Yamaha 5560 or 5490 and HK 320 receivers.

For speakers had a couple of different setups that I was looking at:

Lower End:
JBL NSP1 and a JBL PB-10

The N24 seemed a little weak and tinny for the front speakers. And would like more bass then then PB-10 provides. I'm a little on the tone deaf side but listen to a lot of ecceltic music (folk, celtic, classical, classic rock) but it is an inexspensive setup that gets my started in home theater with a good receiver and I can upgrade the speakers as I go.

Higher End
Ascend Accoustics CBM-170 mains & center + HTM-200 rears + Hsu VTF-2.

They have gotten good reviews but have not actually heard any of them and this setup is really exceeding my budget.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there is one difference between the 883 and 1803 receivers - the warranty. The 1803 has a 2-year warranty, while the 883 has a 1-year warranty. However, the rest of the receiver is the same. Even the user manual states AVR-883/AVR-1803 on the front cover.

Michael,

I saw your reference where you were considering the Yamaha line of receivers vs. the 1803. I briefly owned the HTR-5560 for about 3 weeks this past summer. I wanted the 6th channel, so I purchased the Yamaha. I pulled my Denon AVR-1802 off the shelf for this period of time while I utilized the Yamaha. Now, don't get me wrong - I think Yamaha makes some great products, but in my scenario, the Denon 1802 was a much better receiver. The Denon seemed to pack more punch, play louder and have better bass that would appear through my subwoofer. I feel that I had plenty of time to play with the Yamaha and get all of the settings right. I even utilized my Sound & Vision DVD to set the receiver up along with my Rat Shack sound meter. Again, this is just my opinion while listening to this receiver in my specific listening area. However, I don't think I've ever been happier than when I pulled the HTR-5560 off my shelf, put it back in the box for shipment back to the retailer and then put my Denon 1802 back into action.

I've since sold my 1802 to a good member of this forum who will give my old 1802 a very nice home. I now own the 883 and am truly enjoying the 2nd zone outputs - along with all of the other good qualities of this Denon receiver.

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Can I ask why you are going with the 1803 over the HK 320 you mentioned? Have you heard them side by side? Or is at cost/features decision? I ask as I ponder a similar decision.

Thanks.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Lou:

I've heard the 1803 and the 320 "side-by-side" in 2-channel music and in theater. In theater, it was a wash; the Denon seemed to separate channels a bit better, but the H/K had more oomph or heft. In music, the H/K was somewhat smoother, but the 1803 really held its own. If I had to choose between the two, I would have taken the H/K.

--AM

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Bumping an older thread here.

For those with the 883, or those in the "know" does the 883 come with the new style remote control that is shown with the 1803's?

The reason I ask is because nextgenstore.com's picture shows the older remote.

Thanks folks.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
For those with the 883, or those in the "know" does the 883 come with the new style remote control that is shown with the 1803's?
Actually, the picture at NXGen is a picture of the AVR-1802 - which is why the old remote is present. The AVR-883 definately ships with the newer Denon remote. While it is not the greatest remote, it has slightly improved over the remote that came with the AVR-1802. But, since I'm a fan of after-market remotes and programming them via my computer, I'm not so bothered by the crappy remotes that come with various components.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding the AVR-883.

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne, I also recieved your PM reply.

I plan to purchase the 883 from nxgen.com tomorrow. From what I can tell it is a great little unit and will serve my needs well. Being in college and being on a tight budget I believe it will be a good first real receiver.

If there is anything in particular you think I should know about the unit before buying it I would more then appreciate it, but I think I've done enough research on the 1803 to know what I'm in for. My only real lingering question is on the 80W output per channel. I'm familar that most manufactors over rate their receivers output, but did you feel that the Denon provided enough "omph"?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
but did you feel that the Denon provided enough "omph"?
Yes. I was operating it in my family room (21' x 15' x 8' ceilings.) There was plenty of power for movies and music. Then again, I'm running a 15" subwoofer, which does its share of filling the room, too.
I owned a Denon AVR-1802 before the 883 and both did a great job. I also owned a Yamaha HTR-5560 for about 3 weeks. The Yamaha was clearly under-powered and couldn't hold a flame to my Denon receivers. I was so happy to box the Yamaha back up and send it back.
I'd love to have the opportunity to try out a higher-end Yamaha, though. It's just that in the class of the AVR-883/1803 vs. HTR-5560, the Denon is :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: .

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Anyone notice the inadequacies of the 1803's owner's manual? It is riddled with typos, missing words, and generally poor editing.

The remote is okay, but better to opt for an aftermarket unit.

Otherwise, this little receiver is damn nice.

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Jack - I noticed the typos when looking at the manual over the web. For a company that takes so much pride in their technology and doing it write you would think they would invest in a good editor. :)
Jeff - Thanks for the link. It appears that the Denons output close to what they are rated. Good news.

DanMU

Agent
Does the Denon 883 (AKA Denon AVR-1803, apparently) have phono input? Crutchfield's specs on the Denon AVR-1803 show 1 set of phono inputs but I want to be sure since this is a significant factor in my decision.

I did notice that the picture at nxgen.com of the 883 was different from the one of the 1803 at Crutchfield and I concluded that they are different units. This thread has me thinking they are actually the same, however. I'd like a confirmation of this and in particular that phono input is supported, preferably from someone who has it!!

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it has preamp outputs except for the subwoofer. I'm also looking at the Kenwood VR-6070 and Pioneer VSX-D811, which do have preamp outs. Thanks.

DanMU

Agent
Thanks, Jeff. I'm printing out the PDF now. Where are you going to buy yours? nxgen.com has it for $327 but they're not authorized. Actually, they're on backorder right now.

jeff_str

Auditioning
It will still be a few months for me, but I'll just get it wherever I can find it the cheapest. nxgen seems to be the lowest at the moment, eh? Happy hunting!

--jeff_str

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks