What's new

Denon 750 random black screen only on DVR playback, (1 Viewer)

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
I just got a Denon AVR-S750H (wanted one for so long, and made me happy!) and I have a very irritating black screen flash only when playing off the DVR (which is cable box also). Never get this with any other playback. Some shows it does and others it does not. I contacted Denon and they say it is the DVR to TV causing the issue and not the receiver. I have an old Onkyo that never had any issues with this same setup (over 2 yrs with this box and 10yrs total) so I am really confused. Said I could buy a $200 item that makes sure this does not happen. Anyone have any things I could try? I have replaced HDMI cables.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like a handshake issue. What is the $200 item they suggested?

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
Atlona UHD Sync and Key Digital HDFIX22, Denon sent me another message and stated all of the manufactures are having the same issues. How come my old model Onkyo has never had any of these issues? Is it just new technology?

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
@John Dirk
I seen you mention EVanlak 3rd gen in another post and wondered if you think it would work in the situation I am having. I have recently been having another issue where the volume cuts completely off and I have to just push a sound selection button for it to return but it can happen up to 2-3 times a minute. Which has become so annoying I want to just not watch any of my DVR stuff. This is only happening with my DVR and mostly when watching recorded stuff. It is a cable company supplied unit. This never happens when watching XBOX, Prime, Amazon ex.. I just cant see buying the ones they mentioned if I can avoid it.
I have tried new HDMI cables and turning on DVR, receiver, and TV in different orders with no luck.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@John Dirk
I seen you mention EVanlak 3rd gen in another post and wondered if you think it would work in the situation I am having. I have recently been having another issue where the volume cuts completely off and I have to just push a sound selection button for it to return but it can happen up to 2-3 times a minute. Which has become so annoying I want to just not watch any of my DVR stuff. This is only happening with my DVR and mostly when watching recorded stuff. It is a cable company supplied unit. This never happens when watching XBOX, Prime, Amazon ex.. I just cant see buying the ones they mentioned if I can avoid it.
I have tried new HDMI cables and turning on DVR, receiver, and TV in different orders with no luck.

I don't know that this would be solved with an EDID emulator such as the Evanlak, especially the volume issue. Since the company-supplied DVR seems to be causing the problem, I would place the responsibility on them to replace their hardware before trying anything that would result in out-of-pocket expenses for you.

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
I don't know that this would be solved with an EDID emulator such as the Evanlak, especially the volume issue. Since the company-supplied DVR seems to be causing the problem, I would place the responsibility on them to replace their hardware before trying anything that would result in out-of-pocket expenses for you.
Thank you for the input. Will see about swapping out soon and hope this helps. Makes me want to just ditch the DVR.

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
Quick update... So I procrastinated and just watched mostly stream services as the issue was tough. I would watch my recorded shows with multiple remotes to limit how many buttons to push every 10seconds (lol). Well I had tried to unplug and reset many times each component with nothing working. Well....we had a 2 hour power outage a few nights ago and now everything is working good. I am at a loss but happy that done it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100