What's new

Denon 710 lost monitor out/OSD (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
So over the weekend my Denon S710 lost monitor out/OSD functionality. Over the past few months, I've noticed every once in a while it would lose monitor out - I'd have to switch inputs to another input then back to the one I was using for it to recover. On Saturday, it's totally out - nothing but a blank screen. I still get audio, but no video.

I made sure it wasn't the input - I switched the HDMI cable around to another input. Anyone ever seen this before? I haven't tried a factory reset, but I guess that would be my next option. Outside of this issue, it has worked flawlessly for the past few years. I don't feel like it is very old, but then again, it certainly could be. I bought it as a refurb from A4L.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first thing to do is always to disconnect the power for a while, like 15 minutes, then plug it back in. There should also be a restart procedure. Last option is a factory reset, which is a real pain, since everything has to be reconfigured.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Yeah I was hoping to avoid the factory reset - so much to configure, especially if the OSD doesn't come back...I may just leave it as-is. The only input I have is the PS4 at the moment as we cut the cord and only stream or watch discs from the PS4.

EDIT: To add, I looked at Denons over on A4L. The 2500 vs. the 1600 - the 1600 is a newer model I believe. Is it a better choice than the 2500? There's only $10 difference in them. The draw to the 2500 would be the increased power (which I wouldn't likely be able to notice).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll give it a closer look a little later, but there’s probably nothing much new with the 1600, so I’d go with the 2500.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I’ll give it a closer look a little later, but there’s probably nothing much new with the 1600, so I’d go with the 2500.

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree. I always feel like you get "more" in the next series up. The 2500 would be two series up from my current 710, so that's a plus.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's just that there were no technical advancements between the two models, that I know of. If the 2500 is 4K and DolbyVision compatible, which I believe it is, then there's no reason not to go with it. I'll look at it now, though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, the 2500 is HDCP 2.2 and the 1600 is 2.3. Is that ever likely to make a difference? I don't think so, unless you want to upgrade to 8K. The 1600 also has eARC rather than plain old ARC. Will that make any difference? eARC can pass HD audio and Atmos back to the receiver from a smart TV. In my case, neither of those things makes any difference in the foreseeable future.

Personally, I would still lean toward the 2500.

BTW, the description of the 1600 on A4L has a mistake. It claims it can drive a 7.2.4 system with an external amp. Both of those receivers are absolutely limited to 7 channels. No more. So, 7.2 or 5.2.2 is the absolute limit.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Thanks John! I appreciate the feedback. I also saw the 750 (basically the new version of what I currently have) - it looks to have eARC as well. I don't see that being anything I need, as I currently only have a 5.1 setup.

I think the 2500 is the best choice, should I decide to upgrade. Thanks again!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 3600 is a major step up from the 3500 in terms of expandability, but it's more than twice the price.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Yeah, I would probably have a hard time convincing the boss that we needed to step up that far. I've got a couple of other toys I'm wanting to get, so I have to tread lightly lol.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I might be interested in adding some Atmos speakers. I've found some BA cubes that I like for a decent price, those should fill my Atmos needs methinks. The way my LR is designed, I can't really add any additional traditional speaker locations, but I could probably get some Atmos hung.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Bringing this one back up - is it me or have prices jumped quite a bit over on A4L? The 750 is now $399 - I was thinking it was under $300 back when I made this thread.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you maybe comparing new vs refurb? Still, Denon refurb prices don’t seem to be as low as they used to be.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Bringing this one back up - is it me or have prices jumped quite a bit over on A4L? The 750 is now $399 - I was thinking it was under $300 back when I made this thread.
March is typically clearance time for older receivers, so that may be why it was under $300 back then.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Just bringing this one back up; good news - the 710 monitor out works after a factory reset. I moved it to the TV room over the weekend and did a factory reset on it. Everything works as it should using ARC. I moved the old Onkyo 574 downstairs running it via digital optical cable. It's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks