What's new

Denon 5900 (1 Viewer)

*Luke*

Agent
Hello all, kind of curious if anyone has heard of a release date yet on the 5900? What about the use of the DVI? I heard it hasn't been approved for use yet either. I also am real confused as to why this player wasn't made to THX certified since some of their other players are so obviously they have the goods..........any ino out there?

*Luke*

Agent
Any word on the DVI approval?

Still also curious if anyone knows why it wasn't THX certified..........does it REALLY make a difference?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That V inc (or somesuch) player already has a DVI output, so I don't know what you mean by "DVI approval". ??

Personally, I'm more concerned with how a player does on the Secrets tests than whether it is THX approved or not. Most of the Pioneer Elite machines have had THX approval, but they all also have had the chroma bug too. :)

I just looked at the PDF.. Man, that's one beauty of a player...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
DVI *is* enabled for the V Inc player. There was a review of it in one of the latest HT mags. They said the DVI video quality was to die for, but forget about component video, S-video, etc.

Why *wouldn't* the Denon have it enabled?

*Luke*

Agent
This is what I meant by approved, this comes right off the product description on the Denon site...see the bold print. For 2K I hope they conquer this. Where are the Secrets test results posted and does anyone know how the compare to say the 2900? It may be hard to give a good "capable"comparison though if tested without DVI.

DVD-5900
Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Super Audio CD Player • Powered by the latest DCDi by Faroudja FLI-2310 Decoding Engine - Finest available processing for film, video, graphics or mixed-mode content • Adjustable Chroma Delay and Level, White/Black Levels, CCS On/Off controls • New ESS Vibrato "Chroma Bug Free" MPEG/DVD-Audio Decoder • Sony CXD-2753 Second Generation DSD Decoder • Dual, discrete, Analog Devices ADV-7310 - 216 MHz, 4:4:4, 12 bit Video D/A Conversion system featuring Noise Shaped Video processing (1 chip each Progressive and Interlace) • 8x Oversampling Progressive and 16x Interlace output • Wideband relay switched component video outputs • Variable Black Level (Setup): 0 and 7.5 IRE • Passes below-black (PLUGE) on progressive and interlace outputs • (1) DVI-D (HDCP) Output with selectable 480p/720p/1080i output (DVD-Forum has not approved DVI output at this time, so this output will not be functional. Once Forum approved, an upgrade be made available) • (2)Component Video outputs, 1 with Gold BNC connections • (2)Composite and (2)"S" outputs • 2X DVD read speed; 4X CD/CD-R/CD-RW read speed; with 8MB drive buffer memory • Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • Custom Built to DENON Specifications - Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz PCM/DSD 1790 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio/SACD (optional), featuring dual Analog Devices Melody 100 'HammerHead' processors • 40/60/80/100/120Hz crossover points with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time and Channel Levels (DSD signals are converted to PCM for this feature) • Source Direct Digital Bass Management for SACD; 80Hz crossover with 12/24dB slopes on all channels; Adjustable channel levels (No DSD to PCM conversion) • MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA 8) Playback • Plays Audio/Video CDs; DVD-Audio/Video; Super Audio CD; D+/-R/RW(conditional); Audio CD-R; Audio CD-RW; MP3/WMA CD-R/RW • JPEG photo file viewer, Kodak Picture and Fujicolor CD compatible • HDCD decoding • New AL24 Processing Plus for all 6 Channels • 24/96 compatible digital outputs - optical and coaxial • DENON Link for connection to AVR-5803 (compatible with Second Edition Units) • PCM and DSD Compatible IEEE-1394 Out/In ports, featuring exclusive DENON Clock Synchronized System, a proprietary and defeatable system • The Denon IEEE-1394 port functions only with upcoming DENON IEEE-1394 equipped product; when switched 'off' the ports are 'Universal Standard' • Anamorphic Scaling for 4:3/16:9 Sets • 4:3 Squeeze and Zoom Controls • Pure Direct Modes to defeat unneeded portions of player for the ultimate in audio performance • 3 box, 5 block internal layout to isolate analog, digital and video circuits • SRS TruSurround • RS-232C and Remote in/out ports • Glo-Key remote control • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.5"h x 17.1"d • Weight 27.7 lbs. • MSRP $2000 • Available Late September 2003

*Luke*

Agent
Here's another tidbit off product spec literature.........

Due to current standards of the DVD Copy Control Association made up of DVD-related companies,
output of DVD video images to DVI has not yet been approved. The DVI port on this product at the time of
release thus does not function. However, once a standard has been established, an upgrade will be planned
to enable use of the DVI port.
No signal is output when a device with HDCP-compliant DVI output is connected to a display that does not
support HDCP. A display supporting HDCP must be connected in order to view images via DVI.
Discs that have been poorly finalized following recording may be only partially playable or not playable at all.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The '5900 looks sweet. I can't wait to see some reviews. Hopefully Tweeter will get it, as I would like to get a look at it firsthand.

Denon looks to be doing an excellent job with its DVD players these days (they aren't all out yet, but they look great on paper). Build quality looks solid, plus they appear to be fully committed to the hi-rez audio formats. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there's more on how Denon is dealing with the DVI interface over on AVS too. Well hopefully Denon gets it resolved. I wonder if Pioneer's new HDMI's interface is similarly "hobbled"?

Craig Lorden

Auditioning
Keith,

I work for Tweeter in Connecticut, and we have already had a few show up. There are already a few commits on them though, one of em being mine :)

I don't work on the sales floor anymore but my old friends still on the floor are VERY excited about them. I went in to buy a 2900 and they wouldn't let me do it, lol. They told me that the 5900 was where it was at. And because I know them, i trust them.

However, when I checked the computer for an ETA on more of them, i didn't see any on order (doesn't really mean much, tomorrow they could have 10 on order to be here in a week) But rest assured, i know the Newington store is trying to get one on the floor ASAP. But they have to honor the commits first, did i mention one commit was mine ? YEEEAAAAHHHH !!!

lol

I am really pumped cause i just got a new PRO630 2 weeks ago, and after i get this 5900, im calling my friendly ISF tech to come and do his magic on it like he did my old Mits 65" diamond. AND with my 5803 and the digital link, YEEE HAWWW !!! sorry to seem like im bragging, but DAMN im excited !

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked mine up today. I need to quit reading the forums so that I can go set it up! I'll post my comments on it after a week or so. I currently have a 2900, but couldn't resist the upgrade bug. I got a great deal on the 2900 and should be able to sell it for around what I bought it for (at least that is what I am seeing on ebay).

Dave

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The DVI will be enabled as the new 5900's ship. People who already have the 5900 will be able to recieve a disc that will enable the 5900's DVI port.

Denon should be shipping these discs to consumers shortly.

So it would pay to wait a little while to get an already enabled 5900 from the factory.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I work for a B&M, and we got a fax from our distributor that the DVI output has been approved, and should be enabled soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks