1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 5900, slow menus/setup navigattion?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Espen Braathen, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Espen Braathen

Espen Braathen Stunt Coordinator

I just read a test of the Denon DVD-5900 player which loved the unit except for the rather slow navigation in the set up and disc menues. The responsivness was much worse than the Denon 2900 in example according to this review.

Could any users of this unitsay something about this?

Is it slow?

Also, is it true that the 5900 also lackes both a screen saver, ability to resume play from the stop point after power off/on and that there are no possibitity to directy jump to a specified time point on the disc, i.e after entering HH:MM:SS?

Espen Braathen

2. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I can't answer all your questions, but owning a 5900 since 1 month I can give you some pointers.

''Slow menu''. Yes, it's a bit slower then the 3800 and the 2900. But nothing to bother me. It's really minor. Not ''much worse'' but only a bit slower.

''Lacks the ability to resume play from the stop point after power off/on''. That's not true. If I hit off anywhere in a film when I powered it on again, then the film start exactly where it was when I press the off button.

For the other questions I will have to try it at home (working now).

3. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Ditto:

I noticed it was a little bit slower with menu navigation than the 2900, but like the last poster, it is nothing major.

This player does resume the film from the last point if you hit stop (once) and then power off. The 2900 did not do that.

There is no screensaver.

Haven't checked for direct time entry.

4. Espen Braathen

Espen Braathen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies.

Good to hear that the resume function after power on/off have been included in the 5900. That's a important feature IMO.

I have the user manual and can't seem to find any instructions for direct time access, so I guess it's not included.

Espen