Denon 5900, are they worth it anymore???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kaj, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I've been reading up on all the new denon DVD players that'll be soon hitting the market (if not already). But that means that dealers will try and get rid of the old, obselete models, like the 5900 (or A11 as we call it down here).

So, if i can get the 5900/A11 for next to nothing (compared to original cost) is it worth getting? It can't have been the flagship, referance level DVD player for nothing.

I'm not to worried about the SACD over iLink, and i won't use DenonLink as i have the Z9 at the moment.

Is there any reason, even if i could get the 5900 for alot less than the new 3910, not to get it and wait.

I can't think why not, but maybe you guys can

Cheers
    KJ

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you can get it for a good price, I'd go for it. It will be as good or better than the 3910 from what I am hearing. I doubt you will find it for less than the 3910 though.

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i think its still worth it. given the 5900 and 3910 for the same price, i would go with the 5900. its a better unit. the 3910 is described as a cheaper version of the 5900. nothing beats the original [​IMG]

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If macroblocking is fixed in the 3910 then i'm nearly positive it would beat the original, especially since denonjeff over at AVS has said the 3910 is esentially the 5900 w/ a few fixes at a lower price.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

No it doesn't! Actually to me it never did,I always thought that Denon DVD players are over priced[MSRP]It seems that Denon "got the message",and came out with lower priced,yet quality line up for this year.The 3910 uses the same parts as the 5900,and cost less.Yeah it's dimensions and weight,are less but it's no big deal,it's not a power amp.However the 5900 looks better IMO.Yeah, I know it's no big deal either.[​IMG]

6. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input [​IMG]

Is there anywhere you guys could point me to for details and examples on this 'macroblocking' (if thats what it is called ) problem that the 5900 supposedly has.
    I'd like to do a bit of reading on it and find out what it is exactly. also on Marcovision

Everyone talks about it, but i still don't know 100% what it is and what causes it.

thanks.

KJ

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

From what I can tell the Macroblocking thing is really display dependent and not Denon's fault. I could be wrong here from what I can tell. Personally I'd take a stab at the 5900 if you get it at a decent low price and could return it if need be. If you can't return it then I wouldn't go that route.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I agree entirely. And I'm glad they put in another model between the 29xx and 59xx. The jump from one to the other price was used to be considerable...the 3910 looks like a real winner on paper...except for the fact that it's damn ugly.

9. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't really factoring price into the equation (if fact i was assuming that the 5900 was significatly cheaper than the upcoming 3910),
    i was just curious if the 5900 is still a good path to take in terms of a DVD player, even with the newer 3910 coming out. From what i've read they will be pretty much the same, just the 5900 may be a bit more solid.

anyways,

KJ

10. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

for what it's worth, i've had my 5900 for over six months now and have experienced 0, none, nada, zip....problems with macroblocking. my 5900 was made in february 2004 so i think denon fixed the problem from earlier productionns of the 5900.

kevin t

11. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

good to hear [​IMG]

Is the A11 version of the DVD player exactly the same? Does it use all the same firmware updates that the 5900 does?

12. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i can't answer that as i have no experience with the a11. i would think it would be the same though.

kevin t

13. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

The A11 is suppose to be exactly the same, but I have talk with some Australian owners that were having different problems then with the 5900 in the first batches. But the last ones were probably exactly the same.

The 3910 is almost a 5900, minus 1 dedicated power supply, slightly better audio DACs and a slightly inferior overall build quality. Some early reports by reviewers are that the PQ is slightly better with the 3910 then with 5900.

But for audio, we don't know for now... But the 5900 is in Modwright opinion, the best player they have ever mod... Look at the last 3 posts here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...=107393#107393

I decided to keep my 5900 and go directly to the 5910 and skip the 3910. My firewire connection on my 5900 is now activated, and with the latest firmware upgrade, menu navigation is lighning fast, layer change is non-existant, and I have never seen any macroblocking also after listening to over 300 DVDs with it, on 3 different displays...

I think the 3910, IMHO, is a better deal now if you are more interested in PQ then audio. If it was me right now, I would go with the 3910.

But the 3910 is not the replacement for the 5900. The 5910 will be this replacement. IMHO, the 3910 is replacing the excellent 3800.

14. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the post, [​IMG]

Just to get it straight, the 5910 is going to be a completely different player isn't it? it isnt going to be an upgrade of any older one. It will be in a new catergory of its own.

but thanks for the replies, if i can get a great deal still on any existing 5900/A11's i'll think i will go for it.

15. Levesque

The 5910 will have a totally redone video section, and an improved audio analog stage compared to the 5900...

And a nice surprise on the video side... [​IMG]

16. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I take it you'll be upgrading again?

Kevin

17. Levesque

Not sure...

I'm planning to use my 5900 firewire connection with my Anthem Statement D1... The pre/pro will then handle the bass management, digital delay compensation and decoding in the digital domain... The 5900 (or 5910) will then become only a transport, and the quality of the digital stage of the pre/pro will make the biggest difference then. A clean digital path in audio is what I am aiming for...

So I'm still not sure if I will pay for an analog stage and DACs in the 5910 that I won't even use...

If the PQ is really improved over the 5900, then I will maybe make the switch. But only for audio, IMHO, the firewire connection will change the way we buy players really soon...

But I will see if Anthem can deliver this firewire upgrade for the D1 by the end of this year like they are planning to do...

But for now, my Denon 1910 should be in by the end of this week for my 3rd display. I will surely put it against my 5900 with my main projector just for fun. [​IMG]

18. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

Should be interesting. [​IMG]

I was more concerned about the 5900/A11 and its video side of things, so as long as that's good, i'm happy.

19. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Levesque,
    Do you know if the Anthem Upgrade will be compatible with the Denon Firewire? I know that Denon, Sony and Pioneer DVD Players all have digital audio signal outputs, but I think that none are compatible with each other and not all of them pass the SACD signal to be decoded. Can the Anthem D1, AVM20&30 with the HDMI and Firewire upgrades decode the Firewire digital audio output from the D0enon 5900, 5910, 3910, and other players, including SACD?

20. Levesque

I did try my 5900 with the Pio 59txi and the Yammie RX-Z9 and it did work like a charm. Audioholics did try the 5900 with the RX-Z9 also w/o any problems (you can check on their site).

Denon did test the 5900 with a Pio Elite receiver before making the ''upgrade'' to the firewire... They are now fallowing the ''standard''.

But am I the only one thinking it's really funny that Denon did use a Pio receiver to test their own players...LOL! [​IMG]