What's new

Denon 5803 - Volume Problems? (1 Viewer)

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, it seems as if the total sound output of my Denon is not what I expected it to be. The volume dial goes from -80.0 to 12.0 and I only begin to hear sound at arround -50.0. Is this normal? I find this strange considering the reciever is capable of handling 170 watts X 7 channels, and it is being used with relatively efficient Klipsch speakers.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
This is volume control with today's receivers. It is a far more refined process than before. What you want to notice is the dramatic change that takes place once you begin to reach listening levels. A change of +5dB or 5 clicks on the receiver can bring about a significant change in perceived output...+10dB the ear perceives a doubling of volume.

Your high powered output will serve you better and be more easily noticed in terms of clarity at low volume level and truer fidelity at high volume.

In short, forget the volume number. The 5803 can rock the night away.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"In short, forget the volume number. The 5803 can rock the night away."
It sure can...! :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric T

Second Unit
-50 on the volume would theoretically be 35dB, which is approximately whisper-level if I'm not mistaken.

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting... I guess I am just used to my Onkyo which I could hear much lower on the dial. Thanks for the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks