DENON 5803(THX and 7.1) or McIntosh MHT-100(DTE EX)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holland, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Holland

Holland Auditioning

Mar 16, 2002
    I believe MHT-100 have better sound, but i like so much to watch movies. movies75%,Music25%
    Wich unit is better?
    Denon AVR-5803(THX and 7.1)or
    McIntosh MHT-100(DTS-es6.1)?????
    My speakers are:
    ALL B&W...
    Front center:CDN SNT
    Rear center:CDM CSE
    DVD: DVP-S7700(SONY)
    Thank You!
    [​IMG] :b
  2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Nov 28, 2000
    It's kind of hard to talk about the sound of a unit that isn't available yet...the Denon 5803. The DACs are new, and there are some other refinements to the new Denon. There is also very few reviews on the Mac...but I'm sure it sounds good. Macintosh is a highly respected company for their attention to detail, fine craftsmanship, and superior products.
    For HT, you can't go wrong with the Denon 5800...and since you've waited this long...the 5803 should be available very soon. I've owned the 5800 for a year and I love it. Some HT receivers have had problems doing justice to music listening and 2 channel period. The 5800 has nailed 2 channel music reproduction with their dual differential DAC alignment and Pure Direct option. There are some other goodies that go into this receiver as well...but you can read about them at It seems a bit expensive to spend $5,000 or more on a receiver, but then again, I spent $3,000 on the 5800 and couldn't be happier. I've added extra amplification to the front sound stage, but it wasn't necessary for quality sound. If you get the opportunity, you should try to A/B those two units at your home with your speakers and make a decision from there.
    Other flagship choices availabe that you may want to try are the Onkyo 989, the Pioneer 49TX, the B&K AVR 307, and the big Yamaha. Of these, I prefer the Denon...but YMMV[​IMG]
  3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Mar 7, 2002

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Mar 16, 1999
    It is always best to audition the unit(s) you're interested in. Short of that, I'll make these observations: The Denon rep I spoke to said that, despite the new dac and other changes, the 5803 will have the same sound as the 5800. If this is true, once again the Mc has much cleaner sound (for movies as well as for music).

The McIntosh, however, has far fewer features than the Denon. So, if you're looking for DPL2, ES-Discrete etc., the Denon is the way to go

The Denon is produced by machine, the Mc is hand assembled. Denon tests one unit unit per batch, Mc tests each unit individually. McIntosh wins hands down in the quality controly area. But, remember, Denon makes a good-quality unit (as many on this forum will attest).

The basic question is, are you paying this kind of money for features or for quality?