Denon 5803 mailorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SavoyR, Aug 27, 2002.

1. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

Hi guys I'm interested in getting the Denon 5803 does anyone know I can purchase it thorgh mail order?

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

No place except possibly J&R, I can help you if you like, are you overseas or where?

3. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Crutchfield - YES
    J&R - NO (well, technically they're NOT suppose to...)

-Alex

4. TomH

TomH Second Unit

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

6. TomH

TomH Second Unit

If you go "authorized" be sure to bring that extra $1200.00 for the privilege of supporting a dealer committed to price fixing and competition suppression. Just be careful and purchase with a credit card that offers buyer protection. Keep in mind that most of these guys would never even consider full retail an option for their own purchases.

7. Alex Yang

SavoyR,
    TomH, is right, about paying "EXTRA" just for being authorized, HOWEVER, the fine art of "HAGGLING" does work wonders... I can assure you all that LOCALLY in NYC J&R sells the DENON AVR-5803 for $3299 or was it $3199 "AUTHORIZED" and after a little HAGGLING I was able to get it cheaper...
    Negotiate ALWAY negotiate until you can get the best deal...!!! [​IMG]
    again good luck!!!
    -Alex

8. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

i have helped numerous people find a better buy on a 5803 other than retail. I believe when you are spending that much it is very important to buy authorized.

9. Harlan

Harlan Agent

6th Avenue is an excellent online dealer and they are authorized to sell Denon. I almost bought the 4802 from them. At the last minute I decided to go with The Pioneer 47TX.

Bomber

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

11. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Just some thoughts that I hope are not out of line.
    Much of this has been touched on already, but here is my $.02 on the matter.
    I would try a local dealer first, you may be surprised at the price you get.
    I picked up my 5803 up at a local B&M store for 3k with a double warranty.
    Price started at retail & talked them down from there.
    My opinion is if spending this much money, it's nice to deal with a local dealer.
    Either way I would make sure I got a Denon backed warranty.
    Btw this is a great piece of gear, that imo holds its own very well in that 3k price range!
    I would not pay full retail though.
    Good luck! [​IMG]
    Todd

12. Alex Yang

Todd,
    Agreed, DEFINATELY deal with a LOCAL dealer first as they are the ones who will be able to help you in case you needed anything special, like a LOANER piece while your's is in the shop for repairs, try and before buy in your own home, etc...
    Local dealers will be and should provide excellent customer service and for this reason alone I'll be willing to spend a few extra $$ for this added benefit over the Internet/mail order...
    ULTIMATELY though PRICE is the MAIN reason why I DO make purchases over the NET and/or telephone...
    EXAMPLE:
    Denon AVR-5803 MSRP $4300
    Local retailer $3299
    vs.
    Internet pricing $2900 (Ebay, Crazy Eddies, Ubid, etc...)
    For a $3k+ receiver YES I'm willing to PAY the $3299 that an authorized LOCAL dealer asks for, BUT it's even sweeter when after haggling/negotiating you're able to get a similar "ONLINE" price @ $2950... [​IMG]
    What more can you ask for!!!
    -Alex

13. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Way to go Alex, nice deal you got!
    That is exactly the point, haggle enough with the local dealer & you may be surprised at the deal you can get. [​IMG]
    I am not against making purchases over the net, but I always try the local dealer first.
    I could have perhaps still saved a couple of hundred on the 5803 purchasing over the net, but all those benefits the local dealer offers were worth the $200 to me when spending this much money.
    Plus this dealer throws in the double warranty. [​IMG]
    Todd

14. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I agree, if local dealers can adapt and actually be somewhat competitive it is worth a small premium. In any case full retail is absurd. Often, as with the current 3802 pricing, the good discounts from "authorized" dealers are only available when a product is at "end of sale" or "end of life". In Tucson, an average size city with only one "authorized" dealer for each brand, it is nearly impossible to find discounts.

In principle I just do not support the concept of a contract between the manufacturer and retailer that alters fair market competition. I would love to see someone post a copy so that customers are aware before they support this system.

From the customer perspective it appears that in exchange for the "authorized" dealer sticker that:

1. Authorized dealers are limited in number geographically or some other demographic so that there is little or no competition.
    2. Authorized dealers agree to advertising guidlines that ensure dealers will not engage in public price competition.
    3. Authorized dealers commit to annual sales quotas.
    4. Authorized dealers agree that they will not sell product outside of their "territory"
    5. Pricing is controlled.
    6. The manufacturer gurantees product and "authorized" dealer status.
    7. The manufacturer attempts to enforce the dealers' territory.
    8. The manufacturer will attempt to enforce this system through legally questionable scare tactics such as denial of warranty.
    9. Even though the manufacturers claim to support their "authorized" dealers they cannot ignore the much larger "unauthorized" market. It is no accident that more new, A stock, products from companies like Denon are available almost everywhere, including Walmart.

After all the hype I just cannot see any benefit to the consumer.

Tom

15. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

6th ave/JR/local dealer. Be sure to call 6th and JR for your best price and then negotiate with your local dealer. You will still save 300-400 at 6th and JR.

16. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Not all authorized dealers are hard asses.
    Before I actually started selling HT gear (part time gig), I bought all my gear from the place I am working with. It's a custom install shop and primarily deals with customers wanting complete systems. However, the owner met or beat every deal I threw at him. Paying in cash helps.
    My advice, go to your local dealers and tell them your situation. Sure, some are gonna be d*cks, but you may find one who you can deal with now and in the future.
    I'll sell 5803's all day long at $3200 and be happy about it. And denon should be too!

17. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Wish I had a 5803!!!! Even a 5800 would be nice![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]