Denon 5800 w/ seperate amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

I hear alot of talk about pre/pro, using receivers AND seperate amps... I must admit, I'm still learning, and have a LONG way to go.
    My question is this,
    I have a Denon 5800, upgraded from an Onkyo 898, the difference is AMAZING! Anyway.. I have a Kenwood M1 200x2 amp that is powering my SVS sub, I have one extra slot there, should I plug my center channel up to it? Are there any advantage/disadvantages to this?
    In the future, I think I would like to get a ### x 3 amp to power the front and center channels and let the 5800 power the surrounds and rears. Would that give me a significant improvement?
    Sorry if these questions are stupid.. still learning! [​IMG]
    thanks again!!!
    Jim

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Hi Jim I'm looking into external amplification myself. I currently have a 49tx.

I definitely would not have your kenwood power your center channel, let it power your sub only.

The 5800's amp section is generally regarded as pretty good. Like many others have told me I would defintitely audition some amps in your home first. I do think external amplification will improve your sound (assuming you'll get a good amp) What are you trying to achieve? Which is more important? Music? HT? Your speakers and room size also plays a big role in your amp choices. You might want to buy an amp that blends into your system a little more or a better/more transparent amp that may expose the flaws of your current system.

3. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Jim, I own the m1 amp as well I used it to power my svs 20-39+ and during phantom menace the kenwood clipped on me and fried my driver on my sub be very careful with that amp in its day it was a good amp but I would not use it on your sub or center. I bought a parasound 2205 I use one channel off the parasound for the svs and the other 3 for my mains and center and my 49tx to power the back 4. Now I really pushed that kenwood amp beyond reference levels to clip I heard a really loud crack noise and right away I new I did something, after that at certain volumes I could hear a rattle coming from the sub[​IMG] It was toast[​IMG] My parasound has been pushed even further and not even the slightest distortion amazing amp[​IMG]
    Good luck Bob

4. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Jim,

I have the Onkyo TX DS 797, a slight step down from the 898. I added a 5 channel, 150 WPC (.03% THD) amp to the system and am very happy. I too was considering the 5800 (my local dealer still wants too much for it) and if I ever did get it I would add this amp to it. The Dennon tested at 138 watts per channel x 5 channels @ about .005 % THD.
    I would do this as I already have this amp. If I were starting from scratch I would get a 200WPC x 3 channel amp for the center and mains and let the internal amps handle the rest.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. Any 200x3 amp suggestions that won't break my wallet?

Would this be a better mod (more bang for buck) then upgrading center/main speakers. I have NHT super zeroes for mains (and surrounds) and SC-1 center. Was thinking of going to PSB Image 9c center and 3lr mains.

Which one would be more bang for my buck?

thanks guys!