What's new

Denon 5800 upgrade or Pioneer VS49TX (1 Viewer)

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
News flash, my e-tailor has pissed me off I have cancelled my order for the 49TX. I'm back at square one. I did watch Empire Strikes Back special edition last night on LD and it sounded great in DTS NEO. Before you ask my LD player has no RF output, I was amazed at what a great job the 5800 did on a non discrete source.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Did you try Etronics?? I just spoke with them about 1 hour ago and was told that they had 15+ in stock ready to ship for $2398 + shipping - Just an FYI.

Greg

RajeeK

Second Unit
I know Robert George got his from Etronics and I have not hear him complain about them. I have ordered some smaller stuff from them and they have always provided excellent service.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Jeremy, we are outnumbered here..either listen to them and get the 49TX or take my advice and get an RSP 1066 instead and leave these Mindless Chaotic Anal Audiophile Chitter Chatters (MCAACC) lightyears behind. you already have a killer two channel amp all you would then need is a RMB1095 and you will be on your way to audio nirvana."
Never, I will not get rid of my 5800. I have opinions on how the sound compares, especially in two channel...but I'm not jumping back into the hen house. I am very happy with the 5800...and someday I will move it to a different room, at which time...I will go with a seperate pre/pro. No matter which receiver is available at the time, my next major overhaul will be a seperates only system...in fact, I'm heading that way now as you mentioned Aslam. It is summertime in Alaska...where everything comes in X-Large:)
Our deer are moose (1500 pounds) Our fish are HUGE, and if Minnesota wants to brag about 10,000 lakes...I've got news for them....We have over 3 million lakes and 10,000 rivers. It's time to get into the Kataraft and do some fishing!!!! I will be back in the upgrade market later this fall:)
Jeremy

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO the Denon in the 2 channel area is much better than the Pioneer 49TX. The Denon has a better preamp section than the Pioneer 49TX. Now the Pioneers 49TX has the MCACC feature and a video feature to up the resolution of non HD sources. I have owned a few Denon peices and have never been disapointed. I still own a Denon DCD-1290 CD Player and a Denon DTR-2000 DAT Recorder. Back to the subject we are all discussing here. I agree that the Pioneer 49TX is a very nice peice, it is good to see the Elite brand come back. Their reciever kinda sucked for a few years and now they are back. Right now for me its all about what I have to spend when I am ready to upgrade. If I had a Denon 5800 sitting in my rack I would not trade it for a Pioneer 49TX! I would without hesitation upgrade it and be completely happy :- ). But since I have a Yamaha RV-X995 I will be looking at the Denon 5803, Pioneer 49TX, B&K 307 and the Sunfire Theater Grand 3. The Outlaw is another option that I will be looking into as well. I like to keep all options open in order to get the best option available in my price range. Depending on what you like both the Denon and Pioneer are both great products that deserve a place in anyones HT system. Its up to you to deciede what you like.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Minnesota wants to brag about 10,000 lakes...I've got news for them....We have over 3 million lakes and 10,000 rivers
Man oh man. Them's fightin words. Watch out, those Minnesota people are going to descend on you like a swarm of killer bee's. Does this ever end? ;)
Mike,
Why give up over a credit card trouble. That does happen occassionaly. Just post your card # here and I'm sure we can help clear up the misunderstanding ASAP.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Oh, by the way. Top of page 4. Don't even try to knock me off. It just won't happen. King of the Hill again. Yipeeeeee!!!!!!!

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Rajeek, I hate to burst your bubble but in this thread you will never have the coveted 69:D. So enjoy your minor moral victory!

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Mike, not to burst your bubble, but you only cum once in a 69 but Rajee cums again and again (and again) on top:D
Are we nasty or what:D Wait till one of the administrators finds out whats going on here.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Ouch guys, enough with the sex references.

Obi, thanks for the second reply. That's what I was after. I think I might have to go check out a 49TX at some point.

Patrick

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jeremy, the dark side is so tempting.

But, like I said, I'll just be checking it out. In reality when I upgrade I'll sell the 5800 to a friend and go separates next time around. Can you say MC-12?

Patrick

RajeeK

Second Unit
Aslam,
Yup, you figuered it out. It's nice to be the winner.;)
PatrickM,
Ever heard of peer pressure. Come on now, we are all doing the 49TX you can go it do. All the girls will like you better with a 49TX.
Jeremy,
How bout you? Wanna join? I'll be your best friend.:emoji_thumbsup:

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Ever heard of peer pressure. Come on now, we are all doing the 49TX you can go it do. All the girls will like you better with a 49TX.
Patrick, I think you should go the 49TX route. That way you will have all the girls and also cum on top each time...sounds tempting eh:D

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I'm wondering if anyone compared the Pioneer 47tx to the 49tx.
As someone who just compared the Denon 5803 to the Pioneer 47tx (my dealer didn't have the 49tx), I & my wife noticed quite easily the Denon was clearly superior to the 47tx sound wise.
Especially in 2 channel music (very important to me).
I realize this is not exactly a fair comparison, but both Pioneer units do have the same amp section.
However the 49tx has the better DACs among other things.
I'm wondering how much of a difference this makes.
Anyway I walked out with the Denon.
See my post (Outlaw 950 + Definitive Technology Speakers + what amp?) for a bit more info on this.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=67958
The Denon is set up in my in my system now & so far we are blown away by its sound!
I really wish I could have heard the 49tx, & an Outlaw set up, however the Denon sure sounds sweet right now in both HT & 2 channel pure direct.
Back to the original topic Mike that is an extremely hard call on which to choose.
I also agree with you in thinking the Pioneer amp section seemed to have less punch as compared to the 5803.
But again I listened to the 47tx though it has the same amp section as its big brother.
For me I think the Denon 2 channel music sound would win me over.
Though for HT its kicking my ass as well!
Good luck & honestly I would be proud to own either of these Flagship receivers.
Todd

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Nope, sorry guys. The next move for processors and amps is going to be separates. No more flagship receivers for this boy. Not that I dislike receivers, just want a little more flexibility going forward.

And, Todd, I don't know that the 49TX has better DAC's. Both appear to have Burr-Brown DAC's with the 5803 having 16 versus 8 in the 49TX. Maybe somebody else could enlighten us.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks