1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 5800 upgrade or Pioneer VS49TX

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Peveler, May 10, 2002.

1. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Man oh man, I made the top of page 2 and 3. I ROCK."
    Yeah, Rajee, you do rock....
    BUT NOT NEARLY AS HARD AS MY 5800!!!!! HA HA [​IMG]
    The internet is a funny place...we are all just a buncha faceless people in the crowd! I just love the passion on HTF for components, I think it is the most incredible place to hang...because everyone speaks MY language.
    We have all tried to talk and debate sound stuff with our wives/girlfriends and they aren't nearly as passionate as our friends on HTF!
    I love this forum!
    Jeremy

3. Mike Peveler

Mike Peveler Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy I have gone over to the dark side, you may be the last remaining Denon Jedi. I just ordered the 49TX $2535 overnite. I hope mcacc helps out with some room problems or I will have to pull a Jay and Silent Bob on you guys[​IMG] "How many people wanna kick some ass"[​IMG]

4. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

After listening to my buddy's H/K and Logic 7, I couldn't go without that feature...

Do either of these unit have this?

6. Jeremy Hegna

No Steve, but thanks for throwing another wrench into the thread[​IMG]
    Harmon International is the owners of both H/K and Lexicon. Lexicon started Logic 7 and H/K implements a basic Logic 7 package on their receivers. To get the full effect of Logic 7 (no pun intended), check out the Lexicon pre/pros.
    Mike,
    Congrats...did you get rid of your 5800? Hope the 49 treats you well.
    Jeremy

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

8. Jeremy Hegna

Obi,
    Any chance you could provide your "experienced, wise" opinion on the poster's initial question?
    If you had the 5800 (in lieu of the 307) initially, would you upgrade your 5800 or pick up the 49TX[​IMG]
    Thanks for your insight....
    Jeremy

9. Mike Peveler

Jeremy, no I haven't sold the 5800 yet, I am going to try to sell it locally however if you know anyone I will take $1800 + shipping it is mint with box manual and remote.

I will also comment in this thread my initial impressions of the 49 on thurs or fri thanks to everyone for your input.

10. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Mike,
    Sounds like a good price. You may want to advertise here, www.ebay.com and www.audiogon.com You should be able to get that much from one of those places.

11. Mike Peveler

Hey, Rajeek you may have gotten the top of both pages but I got the best post number 69[​IMG]

12. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Obi, you answered part of the question. What I was trying to ask was the goal, as I understand it, for MCACC is to timbre match and make seamless any speaker within the setup so that even different brands of speakers across the front can sound the same when panned across.

Since you had the chance to have a variety of speakers hooked up to a MCACC calibrated system I was wondering if it actually made the system sound the same regardless of speakers used.

You answered it for the most part by your description of what happened with the AT surround speakers. Everything has its limitations but if you do buy speakers from the same family it appears the MCACC would make them even more seamless.

Patrick

13. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Obi said:

14. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

15. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

16. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

17. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

dry=lifeless=dehydrated=thin...etc...you know what I mean.

18. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

19. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Patrick:

I don't want to give the impression that the MCACC feature will make bad speakers sound good. Nothing is going to do that. This is, after all, a system that attempts to match response curves of all channels using a digital EQ on each channel. I could still tell the timbral variation between the HTM2 compared to the HTM1. What this feature does is reduce the frequency response mismatch between channels so that even dissimilar speakers will blend better, though not perfectly. It also helps flatten out room modes so that the frequency response of the entire system is smoother and more balanced.

Jeremy:

I know your question is theoretical, but without having more experience with the Denon 5800 I simply can't offer a credible answer. Knowing how my decision process works, however, I think I would be inclined to sell the 5800 and try the 49TX rather than sink another $800 into an older receiver. Selling good equipment has become so easy with sites like Audiogon that I don't belive I could justify spending another $800 on a 5800 when I could sell it for $1700-$1800 and buy a new 49TX for $2400. But I think this would be a very tough decision. This is based on never having heard the 49TX. If I had the opportunity to audition the 49TX for any length of time (in other words, knowing what I know now), I would probably be much more inclined to sell the Denon.

20. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit