Denon 5800 Loosing Sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Segno, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

I Need help. Just moved into a NEW house.Hooked up my 5800,and ALL sources loose sound at high volume and the reciever completely shuts down and goes into the standby mode. I don't think I hooked up anything different than before. DVD,VCR and tuner, all goes down with volume about half way up??? So, for the time being I'm using my old Yamaha 990 which is doing just fine with everything, even at ear banging levels. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??? Thanks, Bob

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Did anything fall into the unit durring the move?

3. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

I don't think so.I did look in through the top as best as I could,but did'nt see anything.

4. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Shoot,,That doesn't sound good.

You may need to take it in to be looked at.

My first Denon 5800 arrived with the same problem you

are having now. I had to send it back and get a different one.

5. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

Trevor,did they say why it happened? I've had mine since January last year with no problems till now.

6. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Where you previously running your speakers as small and are now running them as large perhaps? Also, is the unit as well ventilated as it was originally?

7. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

What about the power feed to the 5800? Is it on it's own circuit, and is the supply adequate enough? A dedicated 20A circuit is recommended for high power receivers like the 5800.

Have you also done the usual checks like ensuring no loose strands of speaker wire between the terminals (at both the receiver and speakers)? Perhaps even try replacing the main power cord to the unit?

If all of these checks yield no joy, it sound like some sort of electronics failure has occurred that causes the over-current protection to trip.

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

8. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Bob,

Do you still have your owners manual? If so, check into rebooting the processor. This may or may not help. Otherwise, I'd take it into your local Denon dealer (as Trevor mentioned). I've never had anything like what you're talking about happen with mine.

Even an extreme levels (seldom) I've never had mine protect itself. If you've lost your manual, there is a copy at denon.com. If you can't get the info there, e-mail me and I can walk you through the processor re-boot.

You may also want to contact Denon service. Their tech guys are pretty decent.

Jeremy

9. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

Thanks to all. I re-connected the reciever this morning, and for some reason????? everything worked!! I must have had two wires touching..Well, thats the best guess I can come up with. Thanks for all your help and thoughts. I'm sooo glad I didn't have to take it to the shop. Bob