1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 5800 - Bass Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Yang, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Shane Martin and Elbert Lee have BOTH given me EXCELLENT advice regarding the Denon 5800, and I'm so close to getting this unit, two details stand between me and the Denon...
    Major issue:
    1. Bass Management - What is it, why do I need it, if I just set the Receive to "large/full" speakers for my Mirage OM-5 then I'm all set right? I don't need to worry about bass management or am I missing something here? Can someone give a quick crash course (SERIOUS audiophile Newbie)
    Minor issue:
    2. 5800 upgrade - Bass Management, on screen volume display, DPL II, etc... Is this coming anytime soon? Shoud I call Denon direct for the "official" story? IS there a new "flagship" coming out soon? (Ok, this isn't really a MINOR issue...)
    Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    -Alex

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Alex,
    Bass management is meant for people who do not have full range speakers throughout their system but do own a subwoofer. Without full range speakers you would lose some bass information.
    Since you can't hook the subwoofer to each of the five channels that aren't full range, the receivers bass management will route the bass below whatever cutoff frequency the receiver allows (in the case of the 5800 its 80Hz I believe) to the subwoofer instead of the limited frequency speaker.
    That's where bass management comes in. Oh, and by the way, if the soundtrack has a .1 LFE track, that also goes to the subwoofer.
    As for the upgrade, there's been a lot of speculation on this at the 5800 Flagship receiver forum. Only time will tell. Its best to phone Denon direct.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Alex,
    It's an incredible piece, for sure. The bass management issue...while an insignificant one to me, bothers some.
    It's a pretty good explanation above. You don't need full range speakers all the way around to make the 5800 sound incredible. If you have full range in front, as you do, you can experiment with them large or small (small, everything below 80hz is sent to the sub...large, everything goes to the speaker). I, too, use full range in front and it sounds better to me with my mains set to large.
    I also employ an SVS, which is an incredible sub and will easily handle the duties from 80hz down...so I feel I'm missing nothing bass-wise in the surround/center channels.
    Some speaker gurus suggest setting your bass management a full octave above what your speakers are capable of...little bit of leak into the lower regions happens. Therefore, 80hz is a pretty standard setting in most environments. To the tweaking kinda guy, room modes, sound humps, and weird errors sonically can be corrected with a more "tweakable" bass management system. This is why the addition of bass management to the 5800 is desired, but definitely not mandatory.
    The rumors of the upgrade are just that. I've talked to Denon as others have only to hear the same reply..."It's coming!" You should audition a unit in-home if possible with your current speaker configuration and decide what you do and don't need.
    I can see the volume just fine, but I'm only 12' from the couch.
    I don't need bass management, but I will upgrade to gain this feature...it would come in handy, but I don't feel I'm missing anything without it.
    DPLII...again, I would upgrade if it was available, but DTS Neo6 is fine for the occasional VHS tape, DD2.0, or TV show.
    I prefer 7 channel stereo for sports.
    Pros vs. Cons. What do you need your receiver to do?
    Jeremy

4. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy, Patrick,
    Thank you BOTH for the explanation! I was REALLY worried that I still needed to worry about BASS management if I set my speakers as LARGE. Obviously now this is not the case! I do have a sub-woofer, el cheapo audio-source 12" (don't remember model #), so I should be ok I think. So my settings should I get the Denon or ANY other receiver should be speakers (large/small) LARGE, and subwoofer (Yes/No) YES and I won't have to worry about bass management then... [​IMG])
    I know I may be oversimplifying it but this is ALL I know... [​IMG]
    Jeremy, in answer to your last question, I've using my home theater system in the past 95% home theater and about 5% Audio... With the new Mirage speakers and new Receiver I plan on 50/50... [​IMG]
    Anyone want to buy my BOSE 901s????!??! [​IMG]
    Seriously thanks again for clearing this up for me...
    -Alex

5. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest waiting for the 5802. If you buy now, the 4802 would actually be a better receiver.There is no official or unofficial upgrade announcement with information about its cost, what would be included, and how it would be done. I've been told by a Denon sales rep there is no upgrade coming but there is no written confirmation one way on another. Be careful
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"If you buy now, the 4802 would actually be a better receiver."
    Come on Henry...that's a silly statement, seeing as how the 4802 isn't even available yet.
    There are several differences in the two, even on paper, not the least of which is the amplifier sections.
    Let's not make statements of products that aren't even out yet in comparison to one of the flagships that has proven time and time again to be one of the top dogs.
    Jeremy

8. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Henry, when exactly did your Denon rep tell you there will be no upgrade? How long ago? Within the past 2 weeks? Did your Denon "rep" also go to the meeting in Seattle about 2-3 weeks ago? I know my rep did.....and he did tell me what upgrades are suppposed to be occuring(namely, a hardware instead of software upgrade). I'm just curious as to whether he went to the same meeting as mine OR didn't go at all..........
    Not frustrated with Denon(at all) in Toledo.........