1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 5800 Auto detection of EX or ES 6.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeRa, Sep 25, 2001.

1. MikeRa

MikeRa Auditioning

I am trying to use to Auto detection for DVD's containing the EX or ES source. It works great for the DTS ES disc's but it won't detect the flag on EX. Does such a flag exist? I have tried this with Toy Story 2, The Perfect Storm, and Seven. It will however work in the manual mode. The reason I want to use the Auto mode is it would be nice to have received Austin Powers in EX (or any other unmarked title).Thanks

2. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

From what I have read there are no disc that have been properly coded with the EX flags. I have a Onkyo 989 and auto-detect has never worked on any EX material for me either. I saw some report that Dolby just released a new version of authoring software that allows the flagging now.
    Gary

3. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

So do you normally leave the 5800 in AutoDetect mode, or let it do ES/EX for everything? I'll be getting some rear speakers soon and was curious at what setting everyone else has there's.
    Thanks.

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Grant-
    I generally allow for EX/ES processing for everything. It often enhances or not very different at all. I haven't had the opinion of wanting to turn it off because it sounded bad.

5. MikeRa

MikeRa Auditioning

I have been using the manual mode. I typically watch a movie in its original format. However I did watch about a half hour of Air Force One in the widescreen surround and was quite impressed. Now I need a few weeks off from work to re-watch others.