1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 5800/A1SE Upgrade Petition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dale_S, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

Although the planned upgrade date to add Dolby ProLogic 2 to the Denon flagship receivers is not until late this summer, there is some confirmation from overseas owners that the upgrade has been/will be pushed back to 2002. The reasons given for the delays range from the addition of extra functions, to a concern that the digital board may need replacement due to being 'underpowered'.
    To that end a couple of owners (myself included) have decided to draft a petition to Denon. It is our hopes that this petition will foster a more open line of communication between Denon and its product owners. As such, any Denon flagship receiver owner is invited to sign the petition before we send it (during the 1st week of August).
    To that end, please visit the thread over on the Denon Flagship Receiver forum at:
    http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumdenonavr5800informationforum .showMessage?topicID=781.topic
    The actual petition letter itself can be read on the 2nd page of the thread (3rd post from the top) at:
    http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumdenona vr5800informationforum.showMessageRange?topicID=78 1.topic&start=21&stop=32
    Please note that the person collecting names goes by the nickname Shylee (real name Roy). If interested in signing please send the following info to Roy by email:
    Your name
    Model number
    Serial number
    e-mail address
    Snail mail address (if you wish)
    [email protected]
    Thanks for your assistance...
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection
    Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

2. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Sounds good Dale,,
    I did not hear of the delay. [​IMG]
    Update:
    I could not log in but here is my info.
    mailto:[email protected]
    Equipment List updated
    New digital pictures!
    June 12,2001
    [Edited last by Trevor Schell on July 16, 2001 at 10:38 PM]

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"...there is some confirmation from overseas owners that the upgrade has been/will be pushed back to 2002."
    Where did you hear this? I was just reading the forum that this petition is on and another poster called Denon today in L.A. and was told that the upgrade will be in October. There will be a post on the Denon site in September with the specifics.
    What does "some confirmation" mean? Sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you, but I, too, called Denon. Mike (sales manager) assured me of the upgrade this fall, and their continued support of the 5800 as a flagship piece. It seems owners of the 5800 are becoming a little too impatient, a little too early. If there isn't an upgrade route defined by Christmas, it may be time to do something like this, IMO.
    If each of the folks that are this insistent on getting the upgrade would place a call the Mike (Western Sales Manager for Denon) and made it known that the upgrade is a big desire...I'm sure some of the worries will go away. He was very helpful to me and knowledgable about the gear. Give him a call.
    I know there isn't a customer service guy like Denon Dave running around the forums anymore...but I haven't seen a Pioneer Pete or B&K Bill, either. Part of a companies strategy with new gear and developments must remain guarded knowledge until deamed unnecessary.
    Just my thoughts. I made the call because of a rumor started on line, and until there is definitely NO upgrades available...there is no need to panic.
    Jeremy

4. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy:
    I think you may not have read the petition letter. If you read it I think you will see that our intention is not to force Denon's hand in providing the upgrade, but rather to use it as an example to foster better communication between the product owners and Denon. Waiting until December (long after the promised upgrade date) will only cause more frustration and ill will towards Denon. It is the info coming from both Denon Germany and the Australian Denon importer (both confirmed by users who called their local Denon reps just as you called Mike at Denon USA) that is leading to confusion, and as such only better communication will calm everyone down. I too called the Canadian Denon office but haven't heard even a peep from them in over 2 weeks. At least you got a response.
    This is one area that almost all major vendors need to improve on, with the obvious exception of people like Tag McLaren Audio, SV Subwoofers and Outlaw Audio. Reps from these companies have repeatedly supported their products (and even sometimes the competition's products!) in the forums. This is the kind of communication we as flagship receiver owners deserve.
    As for the upgrade itself, I'm more than willing to wait if Denon can at least confirm that it is coming, when we should expect it, what kind of features it will offer, and what method/form the upgrade will take. One press release posted on the various Denon websites would go a long way towards improving owner morale regarding their not-so-inexpensive purchase.
    It's not meant to be taken as a personal assault, nor is it meant to anger the Denon corporate execs. All we're asking for is information, on a timely basis, to put our mind at ease that we made a purchase that truly will grow with the times. In the meantime I urge everyone to happily enjoy listening to their purchase - I know I am, even with the shortcomings I've mentioned again and again. TTYL....
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection

5. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

This is just a 'bump' to try and get a few more names added before the letter is sent. The letter is expected to be mailed (and emailed) Aug. 1st to Denon offices worldwide, as well to leading hi-fi and hometheater magazines.
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection