What's new

denon 5700 opinion (1 Viewer)

DanielJE

Agent
i love that you guys are here for the questions.

well there is this guy at work that wants to sell me a denon AVR 5700 for around $200. what do you all you think about this should i worry about it being made in 2000 with the techs of it. 5.1 is fine with me i want to upgrade from the in the box system i am running now. so if you could suggest a good dvd player to go with it that would be cool too.

thanks in advance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes on the 5700 for $200. The AVR deserves nice speakers and a good sub.

This will be moved to the correct Recievers forum.

Ask the DVD question in sources for best response.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 5700 is a heck of an AVR even though it is a little old. It was a robust powerfull, incredably built unit.

Really great score for the money. Probably will never go out. They are that good.

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
I just sold my 5700 for $600. If the unit is in good shape, then $200 is the steal of a lifetime. The 5700 has very very good amps for a receiver and it decodes nearly everything. It also has analog in/out - enabling you to upgrade to separates in clear steps. (Get new pre-pro and use the 5700 as the amp. Or get new amp and use the 5700 as a pre-pro)

I upgraded to Anthem/Rotel separates from the 5700. This was a good upgrade but the 5700 is still a very solid piece. Also- keep in mind that the 5700 cost nearly $3,000 when it came out.

My only caution to you is that it may not fit in a standard AV rack. The unit requires a depth of nearly 22 inches including space for cables.

David

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I still use my AVR 5700 in my secondary system and it is performing flawlessly. As others have said, $200 is an absolute steal for a unit of this quality. I wouldn't hesitate a moment at that price.

DanielJE

Agent
i got have the denon 5700 now and looking at DVDs now. for the dvd does it need to be able to read DTS even if the avr does?
and is the 1080i something i should look at with the dvd also.

i want this system of a X1 projector and denon avr to have:
DTS
SACD
thx (would be cool)
progesive scan
maybe 1080i
any dvd that sound good with that?

movie 95%
music 5%

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Your question is not lapsing into A/V sources rather than receivers and power. However, I'll give you my opinion on the topic.

DTS - the dvd player must be able to read the dts stream and pass it along to the AVR via the digital cable. I beleive that all current dvd players of any quality will do this.

1080i upscaling - you can probably live without this. The X1 is native 480p IIRC. Having the player upscale to 1080i and then have the X1 downscale to 480p puts the image through two sets of processing. Also, keep in mind that the AVR-5700 has component switching but does not have the bandwidth to support 1080i. If you use the AVR for switching, then the 1080i upscaling is a total waste.

Progressive scan - If you can get a good quality prog scan machine, this will help with the X1.

SACD/DVD-A - These are two audio formats with doubtful futures. I say this with a collection of over 100 SACD's. I would not go out of my way for this feature alone.

And the recommendation is.......Pioneer 578-A. This is a universal dvd player with very good progressive scan processing. Sound quality is very good in all formats. For SACD/DVD-A, you would have to jump to the Denon 2910 ($600+) to get an audible increase in sound quality.

Hope this helps.

David

DanielJE

Agent
thanks for the info but does the Pioneer 578-A come in 5-disc changer or if not how about one with all that and a 5 disc.

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
The 578-A is single disk only. I don't believe in changers on the whole. For a given sum of money I'd rather have a tray-loader. That way, more of the money (hopefully) goes into the audio/video processing rather than a sizeable carousel plus additional transport elements.

Of course, that's just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

David

DanielJE

Agent
That makes sense.

but i would give up that SACD for a 5 disc changer.
but also i want the best picture and sound for movies mainly.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
The Denon AVR-5700 already has THX ultra post processing.
All you need to do is engage it on any input source being fed.

DanielJE

Agent
i got the def tech speakers and a Yamaha dv-c6760 DVD and have problems getting the component signal to go thou to the X1 projector from the DVD.

speakers:
fronts-bp7006 w/powered sub
center-clr2002 w/powered sub
rears-bp 1.2x

DVD player-yamaha dv-c6760
AVR-denon 5700

so what ya think

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hooked directly up from the DVD to the X1???

Can you describe the problem? No video? On a some players you have to select 480p to get the component video to become active, other players I have actually seen where just plain have to select the output your going to use for it period too.

DanielJE

Agent
no picture. I got to the dvd menu and set it to progressive Thur the video connection my old player had a switch in the back that made it work, this Yamaha doesn't have a switch in the back. didn't see any of what you said on the dvd menu yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks