What's new

Denon 4806 Help! (1 Viewer)

Ryan*D

Agent
I'm having alot of problems with this thing.

I'm trying to follow the instructions but there confusing me even more.

First off I cant get the auto speaker setup to run.
I go to the auto setup screen and try to hit start but nothing happens. I'm hitting the left cursor. that does not work.

Next is sound. I can get sound using red and white coax but if i hook up optical i get no sound. I'm using a sony cd changer plugged in the v-aux front panel input. I set the digital input to opt 5. still no sound. Also when using the L/R coax I only get L, R and Sub when i hit any other 7.1 sound setting I loose the sound.

Im really lost with this thing.

I have no tv hooked up to it so im trying to follow the little screen.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
You have to assign the optical input you plug your cable into on the back off the receiver to the input you choose on the remote. So if your using CD for your cd player and you have your optical cable plugged into the optical 1 slot on the receiver, you have to go into the Input Assign menu on the receivers setup, scroll till you get to CD and assign opt 1. That should do it.

Ryan*D

Agent
Like i said above I did set it.

I plugged my cdchanger in the front panel for testing. V-AUX.
I went to the menu and set Digital In via Optical slot 5.

No sound.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
So you followed the instructions on page 89 for Digital In assigning? Have you tried the optical connections on the back or even the coax? Did you make after you turn on the receiver that you select V-aux on the remote and not CD?

Ryan*D

Agent
I did follow the instructions on pg 89.

I tried using coax on the rear with the dvd player. No sound. same with the optical. Only get sound with R/W. I have it hooked up via HDMI and no either but all of that is most likey in the dvd settings. I dont have the projector hooked up yet so im not looking into that yet.

My cd chager only has optical and r/w out. I can hook it up with R/W and get sound from 2 speakers and sub then I can switch it over to optical and get no sound at all. I made sure it was assigned to spot 5.

Im pretty sure it is something silly i am over looking.

Im not to worried about that at the moment.

I still cant get the auto set up to start up.
That does nothing.
Do you need a tv hooked up to get it to work?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
With a receiver that sophisticated, for its *initial set up* IMO it is mandatory that its onscreen display (OSD) be used. For example, based on many personal experiences with Harmon/Kardons & Yamahas, their front-panel displays only contain basic setting choices. Actually Yamaha's receivers contain more choices but getting to them is a major hair-pulling experience, since it thinks you are using its OSD (otherwise it's a breeze).

Ryan*D

Agent
ok i got the projector hooked up.

I went to the auto set up.
Its telling me to put the mic at ear height. I did that,
Now it's flashing wait.

How long do I have to wait?
so far it's been 5 min

Ryan*D

Agent
ok i've waited for 35min and it still flashed wait.

Why is this thing so hard to set up.

why does it flash wait.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Try doing a processor reset and start over. Pg 86. Other thing is too check on the display of the receiver what what the input mode is(Auto, PCM, DTS, Analog, Ext) Make sure its on Auto.

mark tu

Grip
1st make sure your optical plugs are firmly all the way in - they pull out pretty easy - you should feel a pop when you insert them as they lock in.

go to set up - audio input - cd - opt 5
make sure when you exit, you are on yes, not default or it switches it back on you.

Put the receiver on cd - make sure there aren't some settings on your cd player that need to be set

you should get sound when you play...

As for EQ - when you start you need to scroll down to start and press the left arrow to start - pushing the button in the middle will not start the process.

Set up is next to impossible using only the receivers little screen - you need a monitor hooked up.

Mark

John S

Senior HTF Member
On my 4802, you have to hit the input button sometimes to get it to start taking the digital input and/or analog input after first assigning or re-assigning digital inputs.

Ryan*D

Agent
there has to be something wrong with my unit.
I'm not stupid, I can read a book and follow instructions.

I can set the DVD players HDMI out to the recievers hdmi in slot 2 and then follow the OSD to set up audio in to dvd player HDMI 2 then I go to video in and go to DVD player HDMI 2. I then make sure it is set to amp not tv for audio. It then says no signal.

I can get picture but no sound. The receiver says DTS on it. also DIG. So i know it's getting signal from the dvd player.

I also noticed then when I try to do the test tone I do not get any sound.
All the speaker are hooked up. I played a cd on my changer through Red and white plugged in the V-aux. I then set the Sback A to front and Sback to Front. I got sound from all my speakers.

Even when I set me Cd changer with Optical out. I can plug it in spot 1 and then set the audio in, cd opt 1.
Still no sound. It will say DIG on the front panel.

Also when playing the tuner. I can get sound from F/R/Sub but when I hit surround sound I loose sound. I can only play it on 2 channels.

Is my receiver faulty? It really cant be this hard to get it to work.
I know the menu system like the back of my hand. I've been through every option there is.

Please can someone help me? Reading the owners manual does not tell me anything.

can someone who knows the system AIM me. a2k4srt4

Ryan*D

Agent
so if anyone cares, it was a bad unit after all.

I brought it back to where i bought it and the guy hooked up 2 speakers and a dvd player hooked up via coax. Turned it on and no sound. After playing with it for 20min he said it was bad.

I got a new one. I hope this one works.

mylan

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, we care. I'd hate to think Denon had a rash of $3500 receivers with problems, for that kind of dough, you would expect perfection (almost). I am looking to get a 3806 and have been checking to see if your problems have been resolved.

mark tu

Grip
I went thru my book twice trying to figure out why it wasn't working for you - your guess was right - bad unit... hope the new one works great!
It took me awile to get my 4806 up and running but I am very pleased with it - but I agree, the owners manual leave a lot to be desired.
We had our last home built and prewired for cable. The picture in the family room was a little fuzzy - drove me nuts - after about 2 weeks of playing, I found that whoever put the insultation on the crawl space walls under the family room had driven a staple thru the edge of the cable - not enough to short it out completely - but enough to ruin the picture upstairs.
I checked out your pics of your new HT - looks great so far...
Mark

Ryan*D

Agent
Good News I got the new one hooked up and evreything works perfect.

Things I did notice from the last one were the Coax Sub output on the back panel pointed to a red pre out labeled SW. When I pluged my sub into it I got no sound from the sub. After playing around with it I plugged the coax into the center channel red pre out and it worked.
I thought maybe the label was wrong so i thought nothing of it.
On the new one I plugged it into the SW out plug and it works.
Right there should of showed me there was something wrong on the old one.

Also on auto set up I asked about the wait flashing on the screen. Mine would flash for 1 hour and nothing would happen.
On the new one it flashes for 3 seconds and I can start it now.

Im alittle upset that a 3 day old $3000 Denon receiver was broken out of the box but after I got the new one installed I watched a movie(Star wars 1 pod race)and I can't be happier right now.

It is a great system. It really makes the Axioms epic 80 7.1 sound amazing.
I had a huge smile on my face while watching.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out.

marktu: thanks for looking at the pics. Im going to take new ones this weekend. The theater is 90% done Just need wall coverings.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Hey Ryan, glad to hear everything worked out. You've just goto chalk up the faulty unit too shit happens. You just fell into the 1% or less off defective units that are produced. For all you know it could have been a blown fuse in the unit. Enjoy the new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks