What's new

Denon 4803 & Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a new receiver and have been anticipating the release of the 4803. Does anyone have a clue on when it will be released and MSRP? I'd even settle for a summary of the specs so I know if it's worth waiting for or not. If anyone has any info, please feel free to drop it below.

Target price ~ $1500. Any "higher end" receiver/pre-amp that compares to the 4802/3. I'm not looking for Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.. If I go "mass market," I'm sold on Denon build quality, sound performance, and overall durability. Rather, I'm trying to expand my scope to more "upscale" companies like B&K, Rotel, Marantz, etc. (wish I could afford Lexicon or Theta and be done with it). I've researched many products recently but unfortunately I don't know anyone who has auditioned any of this equipment. So basically I'm asking for testimonials to one and all, as well as manufacturer/model suggestions to further my choices.

Here's my HT habits:
  • HT is used every night
  • DSS/HD/LD/DVD viewing 67%
  • CD/SACD/DVD-A 33%
  • Eventhough the HT is used more quantity-wise for video, the audio performance (whether it be 2-channel or multi-channel) is extremely important in my receiver/pre-amp purchase
  • I drive my current receiver with a 5-channel amp (and will upgrade to a 7-channel amp if need be). Just thought this would be helpful info.
  • I love the 5-channel stereo mode for DSS/Tivo viewing, especially for sports prgramming (since I'm a 5 sport freak)
  • Obviously HD video switching is a must
  • I'm intrigued by upgrade capability (i.e. futureproofing) but don't know if I can get such a product within my modest target price

Please feel free to make any suggestions and/or ask any further questions to assist me in my decision. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
I'd thought I would've gotten some responses by now. I hope it was just a long weekend for my HTF brothers-in-arms :D

Here are a few more requirements/features/questions I have for a new receiver/pre-amp:
  • I believe all Denon have a front display that indicates how many channels are being decoded, what codec is being processed, and illuminates a matching # of green/red lights to correspond with those same # of channels. I find this extremely helpful and comforting when selecting among several different soundtracks and/or speaker configurations.
  • If I want both SACD & DVD-A capabilities (which I do), is there a receiver with multiple analog/digital outs to accomodate this? If not, what are my options?
  • What's the minimum and ideal bandwidth range to look for in a receiver/pre-amp for HD/component video switching?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions. In the meantime, your help and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
As a relatively new member of HTF, I'm getting discouraged by the lack of help I thought I would get from such a prestigious forum :frowning:

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Austin. Honestly, I'm not willing to wait that long. But that does help me make some decisions in buying a new receiver/pre-amp.

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't think so. You may want to hold on just a little bit, though. Denon is supposed to make an announcement regarding the 4802 in the immediate future. I have no idea what the deal is, but it promises to be interesting. Good luck.

Austin

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I believe all Denon have a front display that indicates how many channels are being decoded, what codec is being processed, and illuminates a matching # of green/red lights to correspond with those same # of channels. I find this extremely helpful and comforting when selecting among several different soundtracks and/or speaker configurations.
This is no longer true. While my Denon 5700 did have the LEDs to show the actual channels containing information, my new Denon 5803 does not. As far as I know, there's no way for me to visually discern two-channel stereo and two-channel surround.

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
This is no longer true. While my Denon 5700 did have the LEDs to show the actual channels containing information, my new Denon 5803 does not. As far as I know, there's no way for me to visually discern two-channel stereo and two-channel surround.
Thanks Dmitry for this bit of inofrmation. I obviously was not aware Denon had changed this feature. That's a real bummer :frowning:

Anyone else want to chime in and help, please feel free. Thanks.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Since nobody offers you anything, I'll volunteer some more info :).
If I want both SACD & DVD-A capabilities (which I do), is there a receiver with multiple analog/digital outs to accomodate this? If not, what are my options?
You have several options:
  1. Get a player that is capable of both DVD-A and SACD (like Pioneer DV-45A or DV-47Ai), then you only need one input
  2. If you already have separate SACD and DVD-A playback devices, get a pre-amp like Sony TA-P9000ES that is capable of switching two 5.1 sources
  3. Get a combo of Pioneer DV-47Ai player and VSX-49TXi receiver and connect them digitally via Firewire (iLink)[/list=1]

Disclaimer: You may want to double-check this information as I don't have hands-on experience and may've missed some of your options.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

Seriously look at the 3803. It has a MSRP of $1200. The 4802 goes for $2k+ I believe. The 3803 has a killer pre amp section. It is actually better than the 4802. It has inherited the DACS from the 5803, Denon's flagship. It has plenty of inputs, but only 1 multi channel for DVD-A/SACD. It is going to be very hard to find a receiver that has 2. The amp section of the 3803 will not be quite as good as the 480x, but it is very solid. It also won't have the THX processing. I am not sure how much that means to you. It has 2 component ins that are mechanical switchs capable of 100mhz of bandwidth, which is more than enough for true HD. The learning remote is handy, but all the buttons can be a little confusing at first. The only requirement that it does not meet is the display for active channels. It displays the decoding (DD, DTS, PLII etc), but no lights for each speaker.

So, at the moment, the 3803 is better than the 4802. I don't know what the 4803 will bring. Denon keeps pulling down technologies from the higher end receivers. The 1803 is more like a 2802, the 3803 is more like a 5803, so I can only wait to see what they do to the 4803. But I have not heard anything about it at all, which means it will probably be awhile before they release it. That and the fact that they have already released 3 all new receivers within the last year (1803. 3803, 5803).

BTW, where are you at in IL? I am in St. Louis and would be happy to let you demo my 3803. Check my site in my sig.

Kevin_Welch

Agent
Brian, I am from the St. Louis area and also intrested in the denon 3803 where did you purchase it from and where would you recomend me going. im new th the HT market. thank you!
Kevin

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Denon will be upgrading the 4802 in a few months, which means there will probably be no 4803. If the target date is nearly a year for now, it will likely appear as a 4804 not 4803. Keep in mind that there was no 4801, or a 5801/5802 for that matter. Honestly, i think the 4802 is already well-positioned between the 3803 and 5803 as is. It has larger amps and more power than the 3803, but smaller ones than the 5803, and has DTS 24/96 as well as THX processing. Other than borrowing some DAC's from the 5803 with a few other whistles, there just doesn't appear that there is anything major they can do with the existing 4802 at the moment.

-Reg

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Kevin if you still intereseted I bought my 3803 in st louis while on business. I am pilot and while there for a day I wondered into ultimate electronics. And with no trouble at all I had it for a even grand. It was so easy to get it for that, that I wish I would of tried lower. If you want the location and the salesmen name let me know and I will look it up for you.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Gil,

It is only a guess, as Jeff Talamdge from Denon mentioned yesterday on the AVS forum that we should "look for an announcement regarding the existing 4802, but please don't ask for details." He did say that a replacement for the existing 4802 would likely be a year away at the latest. The upgrade comment is merely the conclusion I've personally drawn from his statements.

Reg

CarlV

Stunt Coordinator
It just happens that I'm currently selling exactly what you're looking for. Take a look in the hardware for sale area for my Onkyo 989 THX Ultra 7.1 receiver.

This puppy has all your requirements plus it is upgradable for firewire once a standard is set.

http://www.onkyousa.com/

Carl

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Betcha the 4802 goes to 7.1 channels, video upconversion to component like the 5803/3803 with the 100MHz capacity, and OSD (if I remember correctly, the volume isn't displayed on your monitor).

This would put it squarely between the 3803 and the 5803, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do call it the 4803.

Just my guesses.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Don't dream about a 4803 yet!

A 4802R may come before the 4803, it may release within a month, it basicly a 4802 with THX ULTRA II rating upgrade (may be video upconsersion as well), it will price lower than the 4802 because it will not come with that bulky Atkis remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks