Denon 4802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I just bought a Denon 4802 to replace my old Sony STR-DE835. I noticed the improvement right away and I haven't even begun to tweek the receiver and calibrate it with Avia.

Since I have a Pronto Remote, the salesman suggested that I sell the remote on E-bay. Just wondering if anyone has done this or would recommend doing this. And how much do they go for.

The thing I would be worried about if that I would need to learn a function off the remote and not be able to since I sold it.

Ken

2. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

IMHO,I'd hold onto the Pronto until you've lived with the
    4802's remote awhile and are sure it is the one you want to use,While I don't have a 4802 or 5802 remote,I do have the Pronto.I have my Pronto set up with som pretty cool graphics and programming.It is set up with tons of macros performing all kinds of things.Makes operating my system a no brainer(blonde friendly [​IMG],just teasing,I'm blonde actually.Really though,anyone can take my pronto and operate every function of my equipment without being the least technically saavy or having gone through the Jim Thompson HT operating school.Sounds funny,but before the Pronto,that'sexactl wha would have to happen when some friend or babysiiter wanted watch my t.v.No more[​IMG]

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I could be wrong, but the way I read it Ken was saying he might sell the Denon remote after he's learned all the Denon codes. Personally, I wouldn't sell either of them. You can keep the pronto forever and continue to use it in your system throughout any upgrades. If you one day want to upgrade your receiver by selling your 4802 not having the remote could be a big drawback. So I would keep both the pronto for continuous versatility and the Aktis just in case. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

4. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Oops, I wasn't clear on which remote. The saleman told me to sell the remote that came with the Receiver since the pronto is much better and I have it set for my other equipment already.

Ken

5. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

The 4802 is a kick butt receiver, but the Aktis remote, to put it mildly, sucks. However, you are probably better off keeping it in case you get the upgraditis bug again.