Denon 4802 vs. 3802 + POA5200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien David, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

what do you think?

would the 4802's internal amp offer close to the same performance as the POA-5200, or are they in totally different leagues?

2. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I think the horse is dead now, the stick is broken. Go buy one of these already!

3. Sebastien David

thank you for the advice Doug, but I don't know which one to buy!

hence the point of this second thread.

sorry if I took up a portion of your time/screen space with my useless and abusive questions!

4. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I can't fully interject a opinion on the whole question, but all I can offer is my opinion on the Denon amp. I have demoed that amp and was less than impressed with it. I would possibly look at other amps.

Brandon

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Gentlemen, gentlemen - there is no need for conflict here. While DougO may have been expressing some annoyance in his post, his response does not appear to be an insulting one, therefore there is no reason for Sebastien to feel insulted.

And, while DougO may feel annoyed that Sebastien continues to ask this question, Sebastien certainly has the right to do so, as he is merely seeking information, rather than deliberately trying to annoy anyone.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Larry,
    I'm willing to bet that Brandon was refering to the POA5200 which is an amp. But since I have heard none of them, I cannot offer my own personal opinion. I doubt anyone could go wrong with either combination though. Denon = [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

7. Sebastien David

thanks brandon.

sorry guys.

i'll let this one sink to the bottom.

probably going to go with the 4802, less hassle.

8. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

Sébastien, I have a 3802, I just upgraded from a 2801 and I must say I can tell a big difference. My old setup I had a enon PMA920 115x2 powering my front speakers. I decided to continue to use this amp since I am going to be running 7 speakers, all Infinity studio monitors. Not sure If my post will help since I never heard a 4802 with my setup. I personally think its a lot for a reciever to push 7 channels, even for the 4802. I guess this also depends on the speakers your using and the size. For me even if I had the 4802 I would still probably use a seperate for the mains.

9. Sebastien David

Mark,

I agree. Even though the 4802 is a monster of a receiver by my standards, and I'm going to be using very efficient speakers in a small room (for now), the idea of a separate amp on top of that still seems very attractive to me.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the money. Maybe later, but I doubt it, seeing as I swore to myself this was going to be my last upgrade for a very long time. Yeah, right!