Denon 4802 Pre-out / Multi-Zone Puzzel????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Miller, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I installed a 4802 for my brother and am trying to figure out how to properly send a feed to a secondary house amp. I've got a Sony CD Jukebox connected to the 4802 via toslink and a Phillips CRD Deck connected via digital coax. I have a line level connection running from the "Pre-out / Multi-Zone" connection on the 4802 to the line in on the secondary amp. As of yet, I have gotten no sound throughout the house, but the mains work fine.
    Then I look at Pg. 37 on the manual and read "Digital signals are not out put from the multi-zone audio output jacks." WHY NOT? Am I screwed or is there another "creative" way for me to keep those two digital connections and be able to carry sound throughout the house? Is it possible to utilize the other pre-out line level connections (FR,FL,SW,C,SR,SL,SBR,SBL)? Or is it possible to utilize the surround B terminals in conjuntion w/ five or seven channel stereo settings and bypass the secondary amp all together? Help [​IMG]
    Peace,
    DM
    PS - Why would I only be able to see the 4802's onscreen menus when there is no other video signal?

2. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I have the 5800 with a Sony MegaChanger. Im using the multi-room functionality by running both analog and digital connections from the changer to the 5800. The MegaChanger will simultaneously send output to both it's analog and digital outputs. And the 4802/5800 will automatically pick the digital signal for playback and the multi-room output will pick up the analog...

BTW, If your only seeing the Denon OSD and no other video source, its probably because you are running a different output to your monitor than the input source you are trying to switch/view. For example, if your sources are all composite, and you run svideo to your monitor, you will not see them. A/V receivers do not convert incoming video signals to the chosen common output type. (Except the new Kenwood, YUK!) You have to match the monitor out type with your source type. Try running all sources as svideo into the receiver with svideo going out to the monitor.

Hope this helps...

3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Keith,

Very cool, thanks a bunch! Let me make sure I'm clear. I need to run rca to the CD analog "In" to the Denon and run toslink optical "In" to the Denon at the same time? So I keep the rca run going from the "Pre-out/Multi-zone" to the secondary amp?

On the video issue, I have both composite and S-video hooked up to monitor 1 and monitor 2, but I can't remember which is which. I do have the DVD player hooked up to the Denon via S-video and still don't get the OSD until I turn the DVD player off. The OSD will not overlay.

Peace,

DM