What's new

Denon 4802 or Elite 47TX? (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Okay I really need a new receiver. I was considering the Integra 8.2 but I don't exactly want to go to the dealer who has it. My fav store carries Denon and Elite so I can get a little bit off those two receivers.

I'm looking at the 4802 and the 47TX. Which would be the one to get or should I really consider the Integra?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
IMHO i would choose the 4802 cause its been out longer and has a solid rep. But ideally you should try to demo both in home if possible and let your ears be the judge. Will your dealer let try in home demos? If they have a good return policy you can always try one and take it back if you don't like it. Good luck.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I plan to buy the 47TX, mainly because I already have a Pioneer Elite receiver (26TX), and I'm used to its interface.

On a feature basis, I'd choose the 47TX for its flash upgradeability and its MCACC auto-calibration. But beyond that, the 47TX and 4802 look pretty evenly matched. The 47TX has THX's new Ultra2 processing, but I don't plan to use it.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Well being in Canada the 47tx hasn't arrived yet. The guy at the store is going to call me back to tell me the pricing on that unit. I'll be going there to listen to the Denon next week. I do think they have a return policy. But I bet that when I bring home the Denon I'll like it. The same thing goes for the 47tx.
Which unit will be more future proof if anything. Both units have an upgrade port but I'm not sure if they ever offered upgrades or will offer upgrades.
I'm thinking the 47tx will come in at a higher price. Even though I will probably never use the Ultra 2 the fact that the 47tx is ultra2 certified temps me a bit. I know the 47tx just got on the market so there's less information out there. But I really have the upgrade itch so I want to decide as soon as possible. :)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Both units have an upgrade port but I'm not sure if they ever offered upgrades or will offer upgrades.
Both units have an RS-232 port, but it's not clear whether the 4802 can use it to upgrade the firmware. The 47TX can, according to Pioneer's website.

But you're right, it's hard to know whether either company will offer any upgrades. I think Denon has upgraded their 5800 receiver, or is developing an upgrade. As for Pioneer, these are their first upgradeable receivers.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Howard, I was in a similar situation when changing my 3801 to something else. I helped my dealer with some IT issues and in return he agreed to upgrade my current setup. I did audition the 4802 at home and it is a great unit and Denon makes solid products. The dealer's brother has an Integra dealership so I even tried the Integra 8.2.

At that point ti became extremely difficult to pick one unit out. Finally, I decided to audition the Onkyo 898 and I was wonderfully surprised by this receiver. I chose the 898 and also managed to upgrade ny DVC-601 DVD player to the DVM-301 at no cost because the 898 was cheaper than the 4802.

Anyway, what I am saying is in that league, most all of thise receivers including the Elite will do a good job with processing and amplification both. I don't think that the power of any unit in the ones we are talking about will "Blow" the other units away. Also, I got the 898 as a future processor to run with a solid 5 channel amp. Hope this helped and not confused the issue.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ya I understand that performance will be pretty similar. But I figure I probably won't upgrade my receiver until years later so I want to make the best decision right now. Upgradeability is definately something I will pay extra for though. I was considering the Onkyos and Integras as well but I trust the dealer that sells Elites and Denons more so that's why I'm considering the 47tx and 4802 now.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
$1000 for the Elite 39??? Wow!!!!, if only it had 7.1 amplification...

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Something that may be important for your choise. According to Denon Germany, there will never ever be any upgrade to the AV 4802 (in Europe AVC A11SR). Denon only plans to upgrade the 5800, but it is still unclear if this will ever happen or not. Regarding upgrades in general: This should be absolutely no point to make up your desition. You can never know if the company will provide an upgrade.

My choise would be the Pioneer at this time because of his room equalisation system which I was able to listen to at the IFA in berlin, not on the 47TX but the 49TX, and my must say this is the toy of the future. Room equalisation will be a must in the near future.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ya I've been hearing lots of good things about MCACC. As for upgradeability. It's definately something that I look for. And you're right you really can't predict what's going to happen. Onkyo/Integra is the only company I know that really sticks to their upgrading promises.
I wish there are some reviews out if anyone has found anyone please post. And keep the responses coming. You guys have helped me tons in my decision to get the RP91 now I need a receiver to go along with it. :)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Damn the 47tx hasn't arrived in Canada yet. Won't be 'till late January. UGH! Should I wait? The Elite will be a better player right?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I think they're out in the US. I'm anxious to buy but if the Elite is better than the Denon then I'll wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks