Denon 4802 "Matrix" surround mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geo, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing around with the different surround modes offered by the 4802. In particular the 4802 "matrix" surround mode has captured my attention lately. I've been comparing the matrix mode to DPLII for TV/SAT use. I haven't come to any conclusions yet, but so far I like the "matrix" mode, it adds a little depth to the overall DPLII sound without sounding like a "typical overdone extra surround mode".
    Has anybody tried using the "Matrix" mode for 2 channel sources.
    Any thoughts, comments............
    geo
    [Edited last by Geo on November 13, 2001 at 10:19 AM]

2. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Yah..
    Matrix.
    Like Quadrophonic if I'm correct.
    I have Matrix on my old DPL processor, makes sound come from 4 different speakers at once.
    Dolby Surround is a matrix system.
    I like to use Matrix when listening to music..

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

"matrix mode,it ADDS(?) a little depth overall to the SPLII sound.."
    Maybe I'm confused, but I didn't think you could layer the two. Did you mean that matrix mode HAS more depth than DPLII?
    ------------------

4. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Randy, I didn't word my post very well. I didn't mean to imply that "Matrix" mode has anything to do with "DPLII".............. Just curious if anybody has compared the two modes...............
    Regards,
    geo

5. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Geo, I have the Denon 3801 and when playing 2 channel music, I always use the matrix mode. It is better than DPL-2 or any other gimmick. I really like it, it gives a lot of depth to the sound without overloading the surrounds. I really like it.

6. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I have owned both the 3801 and the 3802. With the 3801, I really liked the Matrix mode. The best sounding mode for all sources in my opinion (other than DD 5.1). I now have the 3802, and am using the DPLII mode. Now that I read this topic, I think I will play with the two modes this weekend, and see which I like better.
    I use the DPLII mode right now, exclusively in the music mode. DPLII cinema doesn't sound that much better than DPL - you still get everything collapsed to the center channel. One thing I do like about DPLII is that the surrounds are in stereo, and I don't believe they are in the Matrix mode. You would be suprised at how much stereo surround info there is on commercials!
    Bryan