Denon 4802 for 1600 shipped.. good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys... this board has gotten me in so much trouble with my wife!! LOL
    I'm about to buy a DENON 4802... 1600 shipped.. brand new sealed.. is that a great price?? Or should I get the 3802 and save 800 bucks.. is the 4802 worth it?
    Help me please! thanks [​IMG]
    Jim

2. Jim Carr

This guys is ready to sell now? Anyone, anyone?

Is the DENON 4802 a steal for 1600 or should I save my money and get the 3802 or the Onkyo 797 ?

thanks,

Jim

3. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

If you want to be on the cutting edge of signal processing functionality, want the THX logo and the extra 15 watts per channel, and have the financial means to do so then by all means go for the 4802. But the signal processing features in the 4802 are likely to be found in next year's 380X, aren't they?

I'm not arguing against the 4802, mind you, I'm simply of the opinion that you're paying double the money for only an incremental increase in functionality. That increase might well be worth the extra cost to some folks, though.

--Steve

4. Jim Carr

Thanks Steve! I don't want to wait until next year to buy though.. what is the best value if I wanted to buy now. I have the means to spend 1500/1600 around there.

What would you suggest? I have a Onkyo DS575x and I desperately need to upgrade. I really need Dolby PL II and the 6.1 / 7.1. What do you guys think?

thanks!

Jim

5. Jim Carr

Thanks for the advice man! Pocket the extra grand and then upgrade again in a year or so? That sounds like a good plan.
    One more question.. for the money.. I can get the Onkyo DS797 for about the same money as the 3802, what do you think is the better receiver? I don't know enough to make the best decision. I need help!! [​IMG]
    thanks!
    Jim

6. Jim Carr

Thanks Rajee. I *think* both of them are 6.1 but I'm not sure.. I'm doing some research now on the two.

thanks for all your help. Does anyone else have any input on these two receiver? Advantages/disads? thanks!

jim

7. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

Rajee- Where did you find the 3802 at that price? Thanks.

8. Corey W

Corey W Agent

I 2nd Matt Malto's question...ive been looking for a reciever to power my AR HC6's and that is an excellent price on that reciever.

Corey W

9. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Yeah..

I'd be interested in the 3802 for that price shipped as well, from an authorized dealer.

You can e-mail if you like.

Phil

10. Jim Carr

Ok... I just ordered the Onkyo 898, I got an incredible price. Now I'm selling my
    Onkyo 575x receiver.. for anyone out there that needs a 2nd room receiver or has any other use for this drop me an email. I've used it for about 7 monhts.. perfect condition, all original box,manual/remote.. etc. Email me with questions..
    [email protected]
    thanks,
    Jim

11. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Guys, I would be cautious of those prices for Denon. I sell for an authorized dealer and those prices are within a few dollars of cost which would lead me to beleive the units they are selling are refurb's or grey market. Just FYI.

12. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

I have to tell you guys that I found out about this amazing 3802 deal from Rajee's post and got the $639 price. It requires a purchase with Amex blue to price match and MSN passport "coupon". For the little extra work it was very much worth it for me. I got it from Crutchfield which is a Denon authorized dealer, so I have the warranty. I love this unit[​IMG]

13. Jim Carr

Well... it's not like a give away price or anything [​IMG] But my buddy has a dealer account at a local electonics store (they didn't carry DENON so I couldn't even compare) but his price for a 898 was just over 900. So I couldn't refuse.
    Spur of the moment I whooped out my Credit Card and got it [​IMG] Brand new, A stock, warranty.... etc. So I'm very pleased! They had to order it from there warehouse should be here in a few days! Can't wait.
    Since I've joined this forum (about 2 weeks ago) I've dropped 2 grand!! LOL. I'm about to make another post with all my upgrades since I got addicted to this place.
    My wife is non too happy! [​IMG]