What's new

Denon 4802 - BiAmp question (1 Viewer)

Hap C

Agent
I'm considering a Denon 4802, a 7 channel receiver, but I have a standard 5.1 channel speaker setup and don't plan to add any additional speakers. Front speakers are a pair of NHT VT2.4, and I have read they can be bi-amped with great success. Here's my question: can the 2 extra channels on the Denon 4802 be used to bi-amp the NHT VT 2.4 speakers? Or, alternatively, can the other room mode on the Denon be used to bi-amp the speakers? Or, alternatively, is there any other way I can use the 2 extra amp channels in the Denon 4802?

Thanks.

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Hap,

First, passive biamping is a complete waste of time and money. Only active crossover biamping makes any sense and unless you're a closet speaker designer, it makes very little sense even then. At a minimum, you're going to have to get into your NHTs and disable (hack up) the internal crossover network - NOT for the faint of heart. If really you're serious about pursuing biamping, I suggest you read up on it - it's probably a bit more involved than you think. Check out sound.westhost.com for the goods.

Second, the 4802 does not have assignable amp inputs so you wouldn't be able to get the same signals on your "extra" amps as those on your mains (except by using the zone outputs and there are some source problems with that). If you really want to fool around with biamping, get a 5 channel outboard amp, Y the preouts to it, and wire away.

Good luck.

Austin

Hap C

Agent
Austin,

Thanks for the info. I have been doing some research, and I think you are right re bi-amping. Passive probably is a waste, and I was not aware of that until you put me on the track for some good research, so thanks very much.

Another problem is I would like to have 3 component video inputs, and most of the pre processors I have looked at only have two. BTW, I need 3 for (1) HD terrestrial receiver; (2) digital cable, with HD, and (3) prog scan DVD player. I was hoping to solve the component video switching problem and the bi-amp problem with one amp, but I guess it's going to be more complicated that I originally thought.

Hap

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks