Denon 4802 AFDM setting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sal Conigliaro, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Sal Conigliaro

I foune one other thead (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=afdm) on the AFDM setting on the Denon, but it's still not clear. Let me see if I got this straight:
    If AFDM is 'off':
    6.1 (flagged) (THX EX or DTS ES) sources still play in 6.1 (THX EX or DTS ES)
    5.1 sources play in 6.1
    Non-flagged 6.1 sources play in 6.1
    If AFDM is 'on':
    6.1 (THX EX or DTS ES) plays in 6.1
    5.1 plays and the SB output depends on the Non-Flag Source SB Channel setting:
    -THX: SB channel is matrixed
    -Non-Matrix: Side & Rear Surrounds are the same
    -Off: SB channel is 'off'
    If I've got it all straight, wouldn't the 'optimum' setting be leaving AFDM on and the Non-Flag Source SB setting to THX? That way, any correctly flagged DTS/DD EX titles are played in 6.1 and 5.1 titles have the SB channel matrixed from the surrounds.
    And if AFDM is off, is the SB Channel on non-flagged 6.1 sources matrixed from the sides?
    Since there aren't any correctly flagged titles, what happens to 6.1 titles if AFDM is on?
    A post I read earlier recommended leaving AFDM off, so that just adds to the confusion on what the setting does!
    Sal

2. Sal Conigliaro

^

3. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Sal,

Good question..................

I wish I had a good answer, but I'm just as confused as you are, maybe more so............ I have left AFDM in the default settings just because I'm not sure what else to do.

I hope you get a good answer.

geo

4. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

I'm also in the dark about the AFDM. Seems like they could have made this and several other points in the manual much clearer.....

Any help here would be appreciated.

5. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

well either no one else owns this unit or

no one knows............

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I don't believe we have the non-flag SB channel setting on the 5800 which is why you see most people and the manual saying that the AFDM should be set to off since there are no flagged DD-EX discs (except for maybe Pearl Harbor but I'm not sure about that one).

DTS-ES matrix and discrete discs are all flagged so they will work correctly.

Patrick

7. Jasen Kent

Jasen Kent Extra

I've read the manual twice on this subject and I have no clue whether to set the AFDM to "ON" or "OFF".

8. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I have talked to Denon about this and they have told me to leave the AFDM off.

9. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I leave AFDM off, since I have watched several ES and EX titles with AFDM on and it doesn't go into THXSurEX mode automatically, I have to select it. My $0.02.