Denon 4802 - $1890.00 Good Price

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomas_S, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Tomas_S

Tomas_S Agent

Hi All.. I'm getting back into HT and wanted to know if $1890.00 is a reasonable price for a new AVR-4802 from a authorized Denon dealer?

My local HT shop is having a sale this weekend and only have Saturday morning to pick it up.

TIA!

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Wait a few weeks and pick up a 3803 for half the price which will equall the performance of the 4802 in the prepro department. Then spend the other half on a good quality separate 5 channel amplifier. This way you will exceed the performance of the 4802 in both HT and 2 channel music. If you are more into music then get a really nice 2 channel amp for the front mains and push the 2 channel performance even more. The HT performance would still be at par or better then the 4802. Plus in the future you will only have to be upgrading the prepro while keeping the amp so it would make more sense $$$ wise, in the long run too.

My 2 cents.

3. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

1890 is not good. you can get it right now for 1690 on crazyeddie.com.

4. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Of course Crazy Eddie is not an authorized dealer and you won't have any support or warranty.

Dave

(Not to mention that you'll have to pay for shipping.)

5. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

dave, crazy eddie is authorized in the stores; that carries over to the online store. you have to pay shipping but dont have to pay tax. on 1700 dollars id rather pay shipping.

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I'd go the route Yogi suggested, it will sound much better than the 4802 i.e. the 3803 + external amp combo. I used to own a 4802 and have since gone the seperates route and it is entirely different.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Coupla points....
    If the 4802 has a toroid and sports really good numbers and punch, how will switching to any "unspecified" 5 channel amp NECCESARILY IMPROVE the set-up? ...does the pre-pro section of a rcvr REALLY STEAL that much power away from the amps?...weighed against mediocre (at best) pre-out stages?
    With so much multi-channel music and CAREFULLY mixed movie soundtracks, does it make sense for people to mix-match amps?
    While Iagree that 5 or 7 mono-blocks willbest a rcvrs internal amps, and 2 identical 3-channel amps will provide more current draw, I am not sure the one 2 channel amp or the outboard 5 channel suggestion will neccesarily make good sense....

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

9. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Matt, the benefits of external amplification have been substantiated hundreds of times over here.

10. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I would be VERY LEERY of "Crazy Eddie". He has been sued multiple times. He just got out of prison as well. Not flaming, simply public record. Do a google search for "crazy eddie" & see what you get...

11. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

12. TomH

TomH Second Unit

"End of Life" products such as the 4802 are one of the few cases where you can get what can be considered a good deal from "authorized" dealers. However,$1890.00 is approx. $200.00 to $300.00 overpriced for a closeout model.

13. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

I can get you considerable less froma nauthorized retailer if you would like.

14. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

$1890 is cheaper than what I can get at my local authorized stores