What's new

Denon 4800 receiver (1 Viewer)

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought this last year and notice that the 4802 came out not to long after. I am very pleased with this receiver but was wondering about the DTS-ES? I have read in reviews and my manual that it is DTS-ES compatible. So what does this mean and how do I acheive it? Any help would be appreciated.

Also is the 4802 that much better than the 4800 where I should be kicking myself for buying it?

Pete

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
There has to be someone out there who can help me. I was just reading about the great sound on Blade 2 with the dts 6.1 and was wondering if the 4800 can acheive this and how? Do I need and external amp etc. PLease someone help.

Pete

Thanks

I own the 4800 receiver, as well. In order to make proper use of the 4800's DTS-ES (Matrix-only) decoding capability, you do indeed need an additional external amplifier. Denon offers their POA-5200 model for this purpose, which matches perfectly with the receiver's internal amps. (Of course, you can choose whatever external amp you like.)

My understanding is that the ES in DTS-ES represents a back-surround channel. While the receiver will happily decode the signal, in order to hear the back-surround channel, you must have an additional amp channel and speaker (or two channels and two speakers).

I believe the 4802 includes Denon's AL24 digital processing capabilities found in the 5800/5803 models, as well as their high-end CD players, such as the current 1650AR. Their original Alpha Processing scheme launched in the DP-S1/DA-S1 reference series models ($$$) in 1993. It was later updated with 24-bit capability and dubbed AL24. It is a low-level enhancement process for digital audio data. The 4800 does not include Alpha Processing.

I'm sure there are many other differences between the two. Which differences may motivate you to upgrade is really a personal choice. For me, I'm very satisfied with my 4800 and do not plan to upgrade. Don't underestimate the 4800. It is an excellent piece with wonderful sonics and strong build quality. If you add a 5200 external amp, the receiver will let you assign the front LR channels to the external amp. This would be a great setup. Personally, I think investing in that amp will yield better results than upgrading to the 4802 receiver. Good luck with your choice.

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your response. So i have been reading a little and correct me if im wrong, the 4800 cannot play at DTS-ES 6.1 discrete only the matrix? And I was using my old sony receiver for the dd ex sb speakers and it worked fine.

I too love the receiver just am a little upset because right after i bought this the 4802 came out with the discrete 6.1. But probably not that much of a difference.

My back speakers are junk toshibas that came with my tv so maybe when I get some good ones I will notice a huge difference(they are like 15 watt speakers lol)

Thanks

Pete

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Another differnence besides DTS ES Discrete is DTS 24/96, Dolby Pro Logic 2, and NEO:6 plus the Atkis LCD touchscreen remote.

But if all you do is watch Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1/6.1 movies then no sweat, afterall there are very very few DTS 6.1 Discrete and even fewer DTS 24/96 music titles, and DPL2 and Neo:6 only benifit you if you're using 2 channel sources.

So don't kick yourself, and be happy you have a kick-ass receiver. The End.

Oh, yes, the Atkis remote. That's certainly a nice-to-have. You can buy that separately, though, and use it with your 4800 if you like.

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses I have learned a great deal in the past couple days about all this.

But still I'm looking for the answer to can the 4800 acheive DTS-ES "true" 6.1 discrete?

So by adding the 2ch amp and having the proper DVD with "true" 6.1, like Gladiator or Blade 2, will this work on this receiver?

You guys must think I'm an idiot and sound repeitive but it bothering me.

Thanks

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks