Denon 4800--Is this a good receiver.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_B, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Jeff_B

Jeff_B Auditioning

I was considering buying the Denon 4800 to power either Mirage speakers or Paradigms Studio 60's/Studio cc/ADP. Do you think this is a good combination. Also where could I find the AVR-4800 for a good price from an authorized dealer?

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

It is an excellent receiver--rated extremely high in reviews and power. Have you considered the newer model just released, the 4802?

3. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

You should definitely pick up the 4802 instead, it has Dolby Pro Logic II, whereas the 4800 does not.

4. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Well for the price difference between the 4800 and the 4802....it is not worth it for DPL II and 7 ch. amplification. You can find the 4800 for $1000 or less right now, whereas you will be paying around $2000-2500 for the 4802.
    It is going to be getting harder and harder to find 4800's because they are on close-out with the 4802's release.
    I have the 4800 with the POA-5200 amp and it is a great combination. Plenty of power and inputs for any application you can imagine.
    Good Luck.

5. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

try ubid too.
    now that the 4802 is out, ubid should be liquidating a bunch of 4800's... but make sure not to buy any refurb stuff from ubid...
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

6. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

I have the 4800, and love it. That's all I have to say about that.

7. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

8. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    For half the price, the Denon 4800 is a steal...... You can buy 2 Monoblock amps for the EX back channels for real cheap if you want to run a 7.1 Setup...... Or
    One versatility that the piece has is, the amp section for the mains can be assigned to power the EX back channels.... Leaving the 2 mains open for Separate amps [​IMG] IMHO the best move...
    Also the 4800 is unofficially rated at 148 Watts per channel....
    If you Combo the 4800 with three quality channels of Separate amplification, (Front,Left,Right) I challenge you to find a Pre/Pro setup for this price, that sounds as good.... The Denon will handle the back 4 channels with ease....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

StevenH,
    Just a quick aside...
    I have a 3802 and was looking at the POA 5200 amp to power the front speakers. How do you think this combo would fare?
    Regards,
    Ron

10. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Ron.....
    You should be allset.....but it seems to be getting harder to find the POA-5200. It is a very very good amp, very clean power, and uses a dual monoblock set up inside. I really like it, and I have it powering my front speakers....with the 4800 powering my center, rear sides, and rear speakers.
    I paid $400 for mine, and from some other e-tailers you should be able to find it for around the same price.
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    Klipsch Quartets - fronts
    Klipsch Academy - center
    Klipsch KG 1.5's rear surrounds
    Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds
    Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer
    Denon AVR-4800
    Denon POA-5200 THX Amp(fronts)
    Sony C-67ES CD Player
    JVC 36D201 36" TV
    JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player
    JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box
    Playstation 2
    Monster Power HTS-2000
    Monster M-series Speaker Cable and Subwoofer Cable
    Monster S-Video, Optical, and Component Cables
    RS HT Gold Interconnects

11. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Nate.....I got mine from Tweeter inc. for $995, it was the last one they had and was a floor model. If you have a Tweeter around where you are.....you might want to give them a call and see if they have any left. I checked out Yahoo shopping and the cheapest site listed there was the one that you listed for $1197.48 but they also listed shipping at over $120. Don't forget that shipping is going to be alot for this beast....it weighs around 50 lbs or so, so check what shipping rates will be and see where you best deal will be.
    And then again....you can always check www.ebay.com , there is usually a few retailers selling on there and there is usually a few 4800's floating around on there.
    Good Luck
    [Edited last by StevenH on September 15, 2001 at 04:29 PM]