Denon 4800 DVD Player Is Fixed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Lee, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

If you have been following any of the threads on this player, you will know that I have had problems with it. On paper, this is a potentially excellent unit...but the scaling video dropouts were unacceptable. After repeated contact with a tech at Denon, he finally got official word from Japan that there was a problem. Within eight days of notification, I had the repaired unit back in my hands.

I can proudly say that this player now rocks. Great picture similar to the Panasonic RP-91, and awesome audio. I now use the Outlaw ICBM instead of Denon's Bass Enhancer though. I am glad to report that Denon has finally taken care of the major problem.

With the current rumor about the Panasonic RP-91 possibly being discontinued, the Denon 4800 may be an alternative, albeit a costly one.

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Thank you Michael,
    I have been awaiting your good news...just in time for Christmas, Imagine That[​IMG] Do you still have both units? If so, are you able to use both or will you be getting rid of one down the road???
    Just curious, drop me a line if you're going to sell one of them off. I'm heading out of town tonight to visit the in-laws for Christmas. I'm looking forward to checking out some A/V shops in Albuquerque....who knows, I may come home with a Denon 4800.
    Jeremy

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, the 'RP91 could be discontinued already? Why? It hasn't even been out six months! Seems a little early. Of course, Panasonic could very well announce a new crop of DVD-Audio players at the CES next month, but I would still expect the 'RP91 to be available for awhile.

4. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thx for the update and info Michael.

Is this fix a software or a hardware upgrade???

I wonder how we can tell if a player we purchase has the fix or not??

-- John

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I think this problem was a hardware issue. The tech I spoke with said they had to replace a chip, I believe.
    Jeremy,
    Unfortunately, I returned all the faulty units I had. I only have the one now.
    Keith,
    I read about the Panasonic rumor right
    here . When I called my Panasonic rep, he said he had not heard that and he had 930 units backordered, so he hoped that the rumor was just that, a rumor.
    John Cain,
    I will ask my Denon rep how to tell which units are good to go, and which are not.

6. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thx Michael, please keep us posted..

-- John

7. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

Michael: I remember you mentioning another problem with the Denon 4800. There were bamboo like lines running vertically on your screen. This was back when you had the Sony 10HT. Since the player has been fixed, do you still see these Bamboo like lines with the Sharp Projector?