Denon 4800....a new 5 disc DVD/A/V unit...looks nice!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Hegna, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

For those of you that are looking for a new DVD player, this looks like a champ, especially if you're awaiting bass management for DVD-Audio, as I am.
    DVM-4800
    5-Disc Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Player • Progressive Scan, featuring Genesis de-interlacer with new MPEG decoder with 3:2 Pulldown Detection • DVD-Audio with World's First Bass Management system to derive Sub-channel from DVD-Audio discs (defeatable) • Denon 5 Disc Quiet Carousel mechanism • Playback of DVD-Video, Music CD, Video CD, CD-R, CD-RW discs • MP3 Decoder for CD-R/RW encoded discs • 12 bit, 54 MHz Analog Devices Video D/A conversion • 4MB Buffer Memeory to decrease or eliminate layer change pauses or pickup dropouts • Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability • Alpha 24 Processing Plus, newly designed digital filter enhanced for DVD-Audio • Real 24 bit, 192 kHz D/A conversion, featuring newly enhanced Burr-Brown PCM-1704 DACs (1 per channel, FL/FR) • 24 bit, 96 kHz Burr-Brown DACs for c/SL/SR/Sub Channels • 2 composite, 2 "S", 1 set component video outputs • Display optimizer for direct-view CRT, rear projection CRT, front projection CRT, LCD • 4:3 Aspect material shrink or zoom control • Multiple picture control settings and adjustments that work 'on the fly' • HDCD decoding • Built-in Dolby Digital, dts and DVD-Audio decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • PCM, DD, dts and HDCD compatible digital outputs • Optical and coaxial digital outputs • Remote in/out ports • Available at dealers in August
    Jeremy

2. Jeremy Hegna

I forgot to also highlight the scaling ability that it has. Same as the new Panny RP-91.
    Jeremy

3. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

Seems odd that Denon decided to abandon the de-interlacer in the 2800 in favor of the Genesis. Short of this being a 5 DVD changer, I can't see any reason to pick this unit over the RP91 with the Matsushita decoder.
    ------------------
    Kevin Nielsen

4. Jeremy Hegna

I would think that the buffering system and adjustable bass management are the lure.
    Just MHO.
    Jeremy

5. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Ill pass considering the amount of issues Denon had with the DVD2800. If I do upgrade my Panny it will be with the new Kenwood, but only time will tell.
    Andy

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Denon has burned alot of bridges with their 2800. Reminds me of the Panasonic a110 mess a while back.

7. Jeremy Hegna

I didn't think this would turn into a 2800 bashing thread, nor did I mean it to.
    The 2800 is an incredible DVD player, and many others think this way as well. If Denon has burned bridges with the 2800 because of the "chroma bug" then so has Sony with the 9000ES and many other companies with high end machines.
    Actually, I will quit defending the 2800. It has made for a fine piece of gear in my HT.
    Jeremy

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Anyone know what this unit will cost?
    IMO, if less than $600, this unit could be an RP91 killer. If priced at $799 or so, I'd stick with the proven winner(RP-91)at under $500 and add the Outlaw unit for my bass management.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

9. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

The Kenwood DV-5700 5 disc changer may prove to easily beat out the upcoming new Denon.
    The 5700 not only has the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer which certainly matches or beats the DVDO deinterlacer, but it also includes the Sage/Faroudja video enhancer chip that implements some additional Faroudja video processing patented methodologies.
    And even though the Kenwood WEB site omitted it from the DV-5700 product description, the 5700 does include bass management just like the Kenwood DV-5900M. (I EMAIL'd Kenwood and they responded to clear up this descrepency.)
    ------------------
    Phil N.

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Okay, I'll bite. How much will the Kenwood 5700 cost?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

11. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

The Kenwood DV-5700 has an MSRP of $1200.
    Street prices should be in the $700-$800 range.
    ------------------
    Phil N.

12. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

"IMO, if less than $600, this unit could be an RP91 killer. If priced at $799 or so, I'd stick with the proven winner(RP-91)at under $500 and add the Outlaw unit for my bass management."
    I read that the RP91 has bass management, in the sense that you can set your 5 speakers to small and have the bass redirected to the subwoofer, as well as being able to adjust the delay times for each speaker to compensate for the distance between the listener and each speaker. Am I wrong?

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Paul: that is correct. However, many of us would like the ability to place the subwoofer crossover at something other than fixed crossover of the RP-91. The Outlaw is supposed to allow us to set it from 40 to 100Hz.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

14. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

15. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

16. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

I meant to ask if the RP91 has bass management for DVD-Audio. I asked at another forum and was told it doesn't have bass management for DVD-Audio. Hopefully a more affordable player than the Denon 4800 will come out with DVD-Audio bass mgmt in the near future.

17. Jeremy Hegna

I must admit, I'm a beginner to this DVD-A stuff...but this statement looks like the 4800 will do things a bit differently with bass management, maybe like the ICBM?
    "DVD-Audio with World's First Bass Management system to derive Sub-channel from DVD-Audio discs (defeatable)."
    Also, the burr-brown DACs on each channel sounds really nice. Anyone familiar with the sound of the DCM-370 will likely agree.
    I think several folks had problems with the INITIAL batch of 2800s...but some of us that hung on and the new ones hitting the shelves seem to have been remedied. I'm not about to write this one off, especially with the promise of bass management.
    I remember reading a post where someone had the Metallica DVD-A and wasn't able to get the sub to work....ouch! That won't work for me. Obviously this format is still in it's infancy.
    Jeremy

18. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy, I think your definition of bass management might be slightly different than mine.
    My Denon AVR 4800 does something similar to what the promo line you posted says. in that with no LFE signal from the DVD it will create bass output to send to the sub from the mains signals.
    To me bass management is the ability of a device to remove, preferably at a user set cross-over point, low frequency signals that may damage or strain speakers in your surround system that are defined as SMALL. These low bass energies are than shunted to the sub.
    The problem with DVD-A, is that totally unlike DVD-V where high energy signals emanate from your mains and the surrounds take care of lower energies representing ambient sounds, the high energy signals could show up at any speaker in such a multi-channel design.
    This is how my Denon AVR 4800 does bass management for DVD-V, but I'm not sure about the DVD player doing it for DVD-A.
    [Edited last by DanG on August 04, 2001 at 12:18 AM]

19. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

20. Jeremy Hegna

Dan,
    I see your point. I have a Denon 5800, does the same thing. LFE+Mains, LFE. I've not jumped on board the DVD-A train yet and have little experience with the players. I'm not too sure of what the problems are, just thought with this "new" innovation of Denon's, some of the problems would be alleviated.
    To the contrary, our AVRs don't have the "true" bass management...where as one could select crossover points for our subs. The new 4802 receiver will allow 40hz, 60, 80...etc. X-over points. With this addition to their new line of receivers, it makes sense to me that this would be carried over to their new DVD player.
    I think we're talking about the same bass management issue, just tough to decipher what Denon means from the promo line.
    Jeremy