Denon 3910

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EricRWem, Sep 12, 2004.

1. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    This new unit looks extremely hot on all levels. I was wondering if anyone here got one and had any thoughts about it.

Also, does anyone know about this e-tailer named Authorized Electronics? They sure have some nice prices.

See:http://store.yahoo.com/authorizedele...dedvinst1.html

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Yeah, looks gray market. [​IMG] Damn! I don't want to pay MSRP for this!!!!

This unit, on paper, and from feedback I am getting in such places as AVS, seems like the new king of the mountain.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Wow, I am amazed this thread hasn't seen more hits. AVS has about 4 threads dedicated to this unit that are all seeing massive hits.

Anyone have this unit yet and have any thoughts on it?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    ^^ That'll work! [​IMG]

7. KenWong

KenWong Stunt Coordinator

Dang, a gray market unit at that price? Makes me wish I didn't give my customer that big of discount today!

8. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Well, I have heard of some legit guys going pretty low, too. [​IMG]

9. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

So where are these legit guys who will go low?[​IMG]

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Near me? Rumor has it if I went to Ft. Wayne, which is only an hour away from me, they might be able to do something. 6 percent sales tax vs. the 7 here in Ohio also sweetens the pot slightly.

Ovation, Tweeter...places like that... I can't gurantee you anything as I haven't done it myself personally. I've heard a few good hits back on AVS, but... I don't know where you live, Todd, so I don't know if that does you any good. Just make some phone calls and go into full haggle mode!

11. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

I've only got one other Denon dealer in my market that I have to worry about, and they are famous for holding fast to retail. Of course, they are also famous for their "if you have to ask, then you can't afford it" attitude.

The DVD3910 is a hottie, and has a lot of value incorporated into the unit.

That said, if somebody comes to see me on the last day of the month, and the overall package made sense, there might be some *cough* play...

12. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Does the 3910 have the chroma bug? I saw it on a friend of mine's 2900.

13. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
  14. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Actually, this is what I was referring to. I bought the Denon 1600 because it doesn't have this problem. I am surprised that the 2900 did.

Chroma bug

15. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I'll see if I can find out from some 3910 owners. Good question!
    Edit:

Kris Deering responded to me. His exact words, in answer to your question, are:

16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug

These are two different and distinct problems.

17. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Yup. I discovered that myself after some reading last night. [​IMG]

18. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

well, i dont care a whole lot about "bug" problems with my stuff. i bought the 3910 about a week ago, it arrived friday and ive been playing ever since. i have about 50+ hours on it so far (most of it is just repeat playing to get it burned in).

the video is excellent. i havent watched a ton of movies on it yet (only had it 2 days as of tonight), and its done very well on everything ive thrown it at. its black levels and detail is just uncanny. the superbit 5th element has never looked this good. even the test patterns with the avia disc were mind boggling.

im a pretty picky viewer too. if something isnt just right, it bugs me. and there really isnt much thats glaring at me. im a LITTLE diappointed with some of the features they left out from the last series (for instance, if you turn off the display on the front, its OFF, on the last models, if you hit a key on the remote, it would come on for a second... so now if you are listening to a cd, its off completely, and you have NO clue where you are.) no biggie though. and overall, its a bit slow with selecting tracks from a dvd, etc... but nothing annoying, a second longer and it would be a pain.

and as far as the audio, its noticably better than my 2200. i listen to music more than the average listener (about 20 hours a week on average of just music). i am very familiar with my cds, so i know how everything sounded before. things just sound more open, transparent and real. bass is a LOT different than before, but im not sure how yet. on some cds it sounds like its a lot less, but on others there is a lot more bass, but tighter. still messing with settings on that...

but overall, this is the best player ive owned (not saying a whole lot, as ive only had the pioneer elite dv-45a, and the denon 2200), but its one of the best ive used/seen. if i had to upgrade today, the only option for me would be the esoteric dv-50, which is a bit out of my range for now.

so, i think its top notch. the build quality is definately less than the 5900, but i have mine suspended on some audioquest sorbo-feet. its like its floating on air, very cool. no vibration at all.

so, thats my review, nothing technical, nothing absolute, just my opinion and experienes. here is what im using:

denon dvd-3910
    sony kv34-hs420
    audioquest YIQ-1
    monster HTS3500

this week my HDMI cable is coming in (audioquest HDMI-3), so im going to see how that works. i know there isnt a ton of benefiit if you have a tube, or a tv thats not natively high-def, but im really just freeing up my other component inputs, since my xbox takes one, and i will get an OTA tuner soon. but, it shouldnt be any worse...

19. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Nice! Thanks for the review. Both the 2900 and especially the 3910 are easily superior to the 2200 in just about every conceivable fashion.

How do you feel about that menu interface? Some people are complaining about "lack of user ease" and complicated menus...

20. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

hum, as far as i can tell, the menu system is about identical to the 2200, and 2900, and 5900. i dont use the squeeze function, and some of the other things people are complaining about thought. i would like a button that would toggle the progressive modes though, because i go back and forth from film, animation (futurama [​IMG]), and "other".

i knew it would be significantly better than my old 2200, i bought it because of financial reasons (even though i COULD have splurged for the 2900, and probably should have). it was a nice unit for $600 though.

back to menu interface... i think its fine. i usually set stuff up once, and thats it. i do a lot of gear switching, but usually it all still applies with the old gear. there are lots of options, and the video setup is a bit hidden (its not in the setup menu for the dvd player, you have to goto pic setup). its a BIT limited, but can further tweak your setup though.

id be curious to hear what people didnt like about the menu though...