What's new

Denon 3902 speaker calibration (1 Viewer)

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
**Sorry, that should have read "Denon 3802 speaker calibration"
biggrin.gif

I know, I know RTFM, but...
...is it possible to change the speaker levels without having to run the test tones generated by the receiver? I was trying to adjust the levels with my copy of Avia, but the receiver wouldn't allow me to hear the tones from the DVD.
Thanks.
------------------
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Arthur Legardo on September 08, 2001 at 07:10 PM]

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur,
I'm wanting to know the exact same thing -
I've read that the internal test tones may not be the same level as those generated by AVIA or VE...
I guess one way to do it, is to bump up the channel you're working on, then switch to the AVIA test tone - measure - and make adjustments accordingly...kind of hit and miss...
-Ryan
------------------
Link Removed

BrianBHD

Agent
Yes, hit the "ch. vol" button on the front of the unit. It will scroll through the channels and you can turn the nob to adjust the level.

ErikE

Auditioning
If it's like my 3801, hitting OK on the remote should scroll through the channel levels and the arrow keys (I forget if it's left-right or up-down) should adjust the level of the selected channel, hope this makes sense and helps.
--erik
------------------
"It's a test designed to provoke an emotional response..."

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
So can you use the remote to do this? If so, what are the exact key strokes. I hate switching back and forth (internal & VE) when using VE.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
On the remote you do the following:
Make sure the remote is in "Amp" mode. You hit the Pause/Enter Key (it has the pause symbol on it, but is also used as Enter under certain modes). This will display both on the front of the unit and on the screen, the individual channel levels, cycling through them every time you hit the key. Then you use the up and down keys to adjust the level of the channel. After the last channel, you go into the "fader" setting. This allows you to adjust the relative level between front and back speakers. This is an easy way to boost the rear speakers, or cut them during a movie. I never use it, but it could come in handy.
As a side note, this only adjusts the level for the surround mode you are in. When you use the internal test tones, that is a global setting (all modes get the values). So you will have to go into each mode and change the values, or you can do what I did. I just wrote down the values, went into the test tones, and set them to the values I set with Avia.
In my setup, my 3802 produced 75db at a 0 volume setting with the internal test tones and 85db at a 0 volume with Avia. So in fact, they track exactly like they are supposed to. They weren't even off by 1 db - dead on for each channel. Denon recommends setting your levels to 75 db at volume level 0 with the interal test tones. They are supposed to be 30db below the max level. Avia is 20db below, so all is working like it should, and the internal test tones are very accurate.
The only thing I don't calibrate like this is the sub - as I have never gotten pleasing results in my setup. I just tune the sub by ear with music. It may be a little hot, but I like it that way! :)

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks...exactly the desrip I was looking for.
However, once you make the changes in a "mode" and you copy them and take them to make a global setting, do you need to then go back and zero out the "mode"setting?

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
No - they will take the values from the global setting. If you "0" them out in the surround mode, then you have just reversed the settings you did at the global setting. When you bring up the levels in the sound mode, they default to the levels set in the global setting. The reason they give you the option to overide is so that you can readjust for things like direct, 5 ch stereo, etc. where you may not care if your levels are in sync with the sub level or surround levels. I basically set all my levels in the global setting, and leave them there.
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks