What's new

Denon 3806 Competition (1 Viewer)

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys and Gals...its quite alright that each of you feel passionate about your receiver choices. We're all enthusiast. Its good to know what made you choose a receiver of the other, that's why I started this thread to see who was the direct competition to the Denon 3806. As I mentioned in a few replies up, my attention is now on the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi, which is also very capable and reasonably priced. I just like the looks and features over the Denon. In terms of Yamaha, I think probably the RX-V4600 is similar to the Pioneer, but the Pioneer is less. You can read a review about the Pioneer at Stereophile Guide to HT website. Good luck.

Shane Harg

Second Unit

Upscaling is just a nice feature to have and it has been a feature on some recievers for quite some time (i.e. upscaling VHS' 220i to 480i). Most recently, some DVD players now have the ability to upscale from DVD's native 480i up to 1080i/720p or even 1080p. Some display devices are also capable of upscaling. Ideally and theoretically, however, it's best to have your upscaling done at the source (DVD player) and then "pass" that signal through the reciever to your display device. Your reciever must be able to pass it and your display device must then be able to display it. For example, if your DVD player upscales the picture to 1080i, your reciever must be able to take this signal and pass it, unmolested, to the display device, which must be capable of diplaying 1080i/720p. This is assuming, of course, that you don't bypass the reciever altogether and just connect your source component directly to the display. You can also have your reciever upscale the picture coming from the source component. If your DVD player outputs the signal at 480p, some recievers have the ability to upscale it to 1080i/720p and give the upscaled picture to your display. But again, your display must be 1080i/720p (or hi-def) capable.

This is why it's very important to read the specs of equipment you intend to buy very carefully. Sometimes you can't find what you need in the specs and it is therefore necessary to dig deeper. It is futile to have a DVD player, for instance, which upscales to 1080p, but have it connected to a display device, which is only capable of480p (unless of course you plan to upgrade your display later).

The short answer to you question, however, is YES. It's best to have only one of the components do the upscaling, if you want that feature implemented in your system. Ideally the source component.

I hope this answered your question and didn't just confuse you more.

Shane
Yamanashi prefecture, Japan

Ruben A

Grip
THANK YOU Shane!
This is exactly what I was looking for.
Unfortunatelly what this means is that I am for now only getting 420P resolution since I have a Pioneer Elite 45 A which through component video only puts out 420P and the 3806 passes this through to my current TV as such. My current TV is a 4 year old 65" wide screen Mitsubishi connected to the receiver via component so even though the TV claims to be 1080i it is only getting a 420P signal.

My future plans are to buy a HD DVD (whichever one ends up on top) and a Panasonic projector (9000AE).

I was having some regreat over the purchase of the 3806 not because it is doing a bad job but because I begun to think it would be a bottleneck as far as the video signal in the near future when I upgrade the rest of the equipment.

Thanks again.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
You're welcome.

480p to your 65" Mitsu should look pretty terrific. I had a 55" Mitsu, which I bought in 2000 and it looked great right up until the day I moved to Japan last June. The only 1080i signals I ever saw on it were from HD broadcasts. Remember, just because your TV is capable of 1080i doesn't mean it's going to upscale anything with less resolution. You may also need a separate HDTV tuner to go as high as 1080i/720p. Your 3806 will certainly not be a bottleneck. The whole premise behind HDMI is to eliminate all the different audio/video connections and just have one standard interface with a high enough bandwidth to handle both HD video signals and uncompressed multi-channel audio (it's basically firewire on steroids). And your 3806 is fully compatible with that. In other words, as soon as you get your HD DVD player, you'll simply connect it to your 3806 via HDMI and that'll be all you ever need for both hi-def video and audio!

That HD DVD player and the AE900 projector will make a great combo, although you currently own top-of-the-line components already - Pioneer Elite 45A, Mitsu HD rear projector, Denon 3806 - AWESOME! Good luck.

Shane
Yamanashi prefecture, Japan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks