What's new

Denon 3805 (1 Viewer)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I believe that we're not supposed to use this forum to hunt for best prices. So . . . can anyone tell me which forum to go to in order to find the best price from a reputable dealer for the Denon 3805?

On the topic of the 3805, my 7.1 setup includes two 4 ohm towers and a 6 ohm center speaker, the rest are 8 ohm. This would not be a problem for the 3805, would it?

Thanks, Bill

ChadLB

Screenwriter
3805 should handle your speakers fine.

The only place that you can get good prices on the 3805 is like Ecost, Dakmart, PCmall etc.

I know I have read alot about people trying to deal direclty with there local dealers but I know mine won't do much for me here so I ordered the 2805 from ecost...still waiting delivery.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I was just reading the Denon 3805 manual on the Denon web page, and it clearly states that speakers must be 6-16 ohm! Does this mean that I would need to replace my 4 ohm front towers, or is the manual giving a guideline rather than an absolute requirement? :frowning:

- Bill

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The 3805 is going to be pressed pretty hard (read hot) driving 4 ohm speakers at reference levels. MHO would be you'll either need to replace the speakers or plan on buying an additional power amp for satisfactory results.

Mort

ChadLB

Screenwriter
You could add a Crown xls402 for $270 for the mains - cheaper than replacing the speakers.

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Bill:

I faced exactly the same problem and I decided not to take the risk that my new AVR-3805 would get overheated.

I replaced my Jamo 7.7 front speakers (4 ohms) with Klipsch Reference RF-35 (8 ohms).

Jamo 7.7 are prettier and have tighter bass.
Klipsch have better sensitivity, much better highs and midrange tones (sound is noticeably cleaner). Bass is more powerful but more boomy and diffuse.

Octavio

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I have a onkyo sr600, which is a much crappier receiver and I power my 4ohm Polk Audio LSi9's with it.

micah bjj

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked mine up for under $900 new with a warranty from a authorized dealer. I dont know if you are looking to buy any speakers, but you get this price I guess when you are a customer. I dont know if we are allowed to post where I got this price, but I can say that I love my rockets

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Bill... I was just reading the Audioholics review of the 3805 and found this comment:

I believe this confirms you should be okay.

Dan J S

Agent
Audioholics forums has a thread on recommended authorized dealers to mail order from if you don't have one locally.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the information! Currently I have a Sony DA4ES, which is a fairly nice receiver IMHO. But there's 2 reasons I'm considering the Denon:

1. My viewing is 90% home theater. The center channel dialog is often difficult to understand, which can be a huge problem when you watch as many movies as we do. I've tried a boatload of different speakers but continue to have the problem. I'm hoping the Denon will clarify the center channel dialog.

2. I've heard good things about DD IIx, so since I have a 7.1 (7.2 actually) setup, I'd like to have this mode available.

Of course it would be a major disappointment if I got the Denon, then continued to have the same old problem with the center channel intelligibility! With this in mind, I'm thinking it might be smart for me to pay full price from an authorized dealer who offers a 30-day, no questions money back guarantee . . . Crutchfield comes to mind right away.

I'll continue to think it over for another few weeks, then report in this thread whatever I do.

- Bill

Sean Mullin

Agent
Bill,

I always check with Pricescan dot com , to get my idea of best prices online.. try them and good luck in your search

Sean

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Very smart idea... you might be able to negotiate some with Crutchfield although they can be stubborn at times with particular products.

Denon is one of those companies that have a MAP of full retail... they don't want dealers giving much of a discount. That's why most of the online dealers you see are not authorized and the ones that are they usually have the price at full retail.

The thing with most online stores is they have a restocking fee if the box has been opened... while Crutchfield does not.

Dan J S

Agent
DPLIIx will probably help your center channel problem. The 'x' adds a "center width" option to allow you to send some center channel information in mono to your left and right channels as well.

Shiu

Second Unit
I recently replaced my 4ES but it wasn't because of the centre channel problem that you mentioned. The 4ES was able to produce clear centre channel sound with my small Polk Audio CSI30. The 3805 runs quite warm even with 8 ohm speakers. I am still using a power amplifier to drive my front speakers. I thought that would help the 3805 stay cool and last longer.

Regarding SQ in general, without doing an A/B comparison, I can't say if the 3805 sound better than the 4ES but I sure miss that blue light and the individual channel bass management a lot.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
So far my 3805 has good dialog. I've only watched a few minutes of Hidalgo and all seems well... center is clear.

I didn't have much time to work with it though. I got the room setup and auto-eq done.

Found out my highs in one of my surrounds is not connected. I'm thinking the connection came loose from where I disconnected the drivers to paint the enclosures. I can't imagine 2 tweeters blowing at the same time... but it could be the crossover gone bad. The auto-eq really tried to compensate for no highs in that speaker.

We're headed out to eat so I'll test it more late tonight or tomorrow afternoon and report back a little more on the center dialog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks