Denon 3805 vs. Harman Kardon 635?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kenneth Harden, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Sorry if this is a repost, if so, post a link and I'm sorry. I could not find anything.

Reguardless, it is down to these receivers. They both have the inputs I need.

Issue is now SOUND QUALITY and POWER OUTPUT.

I have Klipsch F3's, a C3, and B3's for the rear. Very efficent, but I still want a lot of output.

What would you choose? Prices are about the same for me.

Another question - will the subwoofer out still work in 2-channel mode?

Thanks!!! It is finally coming together!

EDIT: may I also add I might be ordering in the next FEW DAYS. I am ready to go, fun and games are over :p I really appreciate the advice.

2. John S

John S Producer

H/K would probably be a better match to tame those speakers. Even though I tend to like the way Denon handles harsh highs like horns in jazz better.

Those are pretty darn bright speakers your using there.

3. Kenneth Harden

He, he, he.

I have a pair of Chorus II's downstairs that people say are WAY brighter than pretty much anything sold. I sure don't think so. They sound just about right to me.

I am in the bright = natural. If you have ever heard like jazz music, you will know what I mean.

Thanks!

Anyone else? I really need some help!

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, like em bright? Go for the Denon then. Not a large difference between the two, but Denon is considered slightly forward compared to the what is considered nuetral H/K.....

I'm a Denon head myself. I like those jazz horns to be smooth as silk. yes, I understand they are brash in person. [​IMG]

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd lean towards the 635 because it's auto calibration/eq includes an automatic parametric equalization of the subwoofer as well as the other speakers (the Denon doesn't do the sub). Otherwise they're probably about equal in actual power output and features.

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

For everything but sound Denon,which i have used w/a wide variety of Klipsch w/decent results.For music the HK sounds better,the Denon is a little boring even w/ Klipsch.

7. Kenneth Harden

Hmmmmm, I am leaning towards the HK - the AutoEQ deal looks cool.

$735 from Amazon, free shipping, authorized dealer.

Thats a lot of money, but I think I should go for it.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Yeah, it's a newer unit with more configurable bass management and a better EQ system. That's not to say the 3805 isn't a good machine, though.

DJ

9. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Have you considered the Yamaha RXV2500? It's in that general price range also.

10. Kenneth Harden

Brad:

Yes, great piece of hardware, but I am nerveous (sp?) about Yamaha and Klipsch. Also, I am not too hot on Yamaha (they are great, but I have never 'liked' them).

Again, EVERYTHING we are talking about is GREAT, just deciding what is BEST for me.

11. amatala

amatala Stunt Coordinator

For Music I would choose any Harman/Kardon over any Denon (in the same price range of course) without hesitation. If you're only going to do Movies, the Denon machines are excellent performers.