Denon 3805 Setup.. Small/Large Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sidney, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

I was just started setting up my new Denon 3805 and I got to the speaker section.. They mention in the speaker section, Small/Large/None. I know Small is suppose to be for speakers that don't have the full frequency response below the setting for the crossover. Large speakers can go below the frequency..

I have a pair of Martin Logans SL3s and I love the mids and highs, but the lows are really poor. Since I have a Velodyne Sub, should I keep the setting for the ML SL3s to SMALL or LARGE since these (front) speakers can actually go below the crossover frequency (well I think they can.. got to recheck the specs).

Or do I even have to bother with these settings since I have the Denon mic to do the auto level adjustment. (I still would like the answer to the setting just in case I don't like the auto eq adjustment settings)

Thanks

2. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I'm no expert but I think you answered your own question !
    If you don't like the lows from your speakers, you should set them to small and let the sub handle the lows. Also don't be fooled by the auto set-up, it's not perfect. Use it as a guide and then do some manual tweaking according to what you like. Have fun !

3. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

I heard that about the auto setup not being very accurate. Well I'll give the small setting a chance to see the results.

Thanks

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I would set them to small, and I have never had a problem with the auto setup on my 3805s. I have verified it with my SLP meter and it was spot on. The one exception was I though it understated the sub in the bedroom, but the remaining seven channels in both systems were spot on.

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I have a nice sub myself (Velodyne F1500R), so I always had set my Definitive BP10s to small. I recently changed the setting to large and noticed a decent improvement in the quality of the overall sound, much fuller.

6. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Your speakers' response is +/-3db down to 30Hz. This means the bass likely begins to roll off at 60Hz. Your sub is meant to handle lower frequencies. If you prefer the bass from your sub, set the front speakers to small and let the sub handle both the .1 soundtrack and the bass from the other 5 tracks when it is below the cross-over frequency. I don't have a 3805, but I see it has adjustable cross-over frequencies. I browsed the 3805 manual, and there appears to be a rather extensive section on setting up the speakers. Setting your front speakers to small isn't a slight against their (or your) manhood[​IMG] Do what sounds best, but I'd be inclined to believe your best results will come when you set all your speakers to small.

7. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info guys. I still haven't gotten a chance to try it out with the speakers to small. Still trying to setup my room the way I want it.

Scott.. taking time to read the manual of a AVR you don't have. Thanks.

8. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    let the auto eq do its thing... then go in re set the speakers to small. Chances are the auto eq will assign them as large. I would reccomend setting your xover at 60 hz.

9. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

Oh so it will adjust that setting for me.. (selecting small/large). Wasn't sure if the unit was smart enough to do that.. though it's not a hard thing to do in the firmware.

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    also, after completing auto eq, if you want the eq settings to take effect, you have to turn it on. It defaults to off, even though the size and distance settings will take effect.

11. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the warning. I read about needing the EQ to be turned on. I find that strange they would default it off, but the distance settings be taken into effect.. Well it's good have a reminder about that [​IMG]

12. Don*A

Don*A Agent

Keep to Small. I have 3 differant sets of ML's They need power by taking the bass to the sub you will reduce the strain on your amp by about 40%. Those wonderful ML mids and highs will get even sweeter!!!