What's new

Denon 3805 or Yamaha RX-V2400 (1 Viewer)

Robert M H

Auditioning
Can anyone give me advice on which receiver to go with? I can pick up the Yamaha for $700 including shipping, and the Denon for around $1,000 w/shipping. Just looking at the specs of each, they seem to be pretty equal. Going by all of the hype, everyone tells me to go with Denon. So my final question is, is it worth spending $300 more for the Denon? Your input will be MUCH appreciated!!!

Thanks,
rh

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
You would have to listen to each of them and decide which you liked best. They tend to have very different sounds.

My own preference is for the sound of the Denon...That's why I bought one. Other people dislike Denon's sound.

I think the 3085 is fantastic and has the perfect blend of power and sound processing. Other people think it's over-rated.

If you truly don't care and believe you'd be satisfied with saving $300, do it. No one can tell you what you like and what's important to you. I just happen to think the Denon is worth the money. I believe in the quality, reliability, and think the 3805 is the most natural sounding receiver in it's class. Alot of people think I'm nuts.:D

Check it out and buy what YOU want, not what anyone else thinks you should want.

Shiu

Second Unit

Count me in, I use a power amp with it mainly to gain some headroom and keep it cool so it may last longer. In terms of sound, the improvement is subtle, so I think the 3805's amp section is fantastic.

EGM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Galen
Count this as another vote for the 3805...solid, clean and powerful receiver. I am running B&W 600 series speakers all around and it sounds great.

GM

TonyWright

Second Unit
I had a Yammie RXV-2400. I took it back after a couple weeks with it. It just didn't do it for me.

I don't currently own a Denon but some relatives do and I have heard of no troubles with theirs. Thier system sounds great.

Just my $0.02

Tony

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It's my understanding that one of the advantages of the Yamaha is a greater number of surround modes. I rarely used any of them on my last Denon receiver so I bought the 3805....and am very happy. My previous Denon AVR is nearing 13 years old and now lives happily with my granddaughter....still going strong.

Mort

Shiu

Second Unit
I have the relatively inefficient Veritas 2.3i and the 3805 has no trouble driving them. With the power amp I feel more comfortable listening at high level but I do not perceive the "huge" improvement that others had reported. I have to conclude that the Denon has a very decent amp section.

dannyG

Agent
Looks like most people that replied give it up to the Denon.
That being said I had a 3803, replaced it with the rxv2400 last year.

I was recently looking for a new replacement. I tested the new RXV2500, Denon 3805 and the Pio. 54tx for over an hour with music and movies using Def Tech towers and then Klipsch towers. 2 different sounding speakers.

Everybodies hearing is different. I had a friend switch back and forth between all 3 receivers many many times. I did not know at any one time which receiver was playing. After all that I picked them out 1,2 and 3.

1. sounded best-RXV 2500
2. sounded best with music but no where near the 2500 with movies-Pio. 54tx.
3. Sounded very thin with music and movies-3805.

Thats my 2cents worth of info. By the way I bought neither of the three. I purchased a Rotel 1056 that bests all of the other three I tested.

dannyG

Agent

Different terms get tossed around i.e. thin,harsh,bright,neutral etc. The 3805 just did not sound full. It was like there was not much punch to it. Keep in mind I owned the 3803 and it was similiar, thats why I upgraded to the Yamaha.

Thats just my opinion. Everybody has one, not that mine is good or bad.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Can the 3805 superimpose DPLIIx over DD 5.1,DTS[ES] and DD EX ?
According to the manual on line it can't,but manuals sometimes are wrong.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks