Denon 3805 or Onkyo 901

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Burklund, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

I can get a refurbished Onkyo TX-NR901 from Onkyo website for $999....can purchase a 2 year warranty for ...$65, I think it was?

I also found a new Denon 3805 for $908.88 online.

I want to get Swan speaker....probably the 6.1's, Swan center, and Swan rear speaker (not sure which ones yet).

I had a chance today to listen to a 901 with polk speakers at Circuit City...sounded good.
    Turned on the Harmon Kardon with Beta 50's...sounded like crap...maybe it just wasnt set up right??

I would want this mostly for movies and some music.

So what do you think.....even setting money aside...which is my best bet?

2. Burklund

I was looking on ebay and saw a Denon AVR-4802R for $1249....how are they for the money?

3. Burklund

so no one wants to take a crack at this one?

4. Sean Mullin

Sean Mullin Agent

5. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Burklund,

I can't speak on the 901, but I just got the 3805. I have it running B&Ws all around, and can honestly say it is outstanding.

I am about 70/30 HT/Music...but with this receiver the two-channel performance is very solid. There are a lot of positive reviews on the 3805 and the 901. Sound & Vision did reviews on both:

The only observation I could make on your original post is that if you buy the Denon online, make sure it is from an authorized dealer or you will not get the standard 2-year warranty. $908 is a great price, but I am willing to guess that unless it is a refurbished unit, that the site selling it is not an authorized dealer.

Hope this helps...

GM

6. Burklund

Sound & Vision magazine complains about:
    No bass managment for external multichannel input.

What does that mean?

7. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Ha ha. Pretty much every receiver has NO bass management for external multichannel inputs. This is a pretty safe complaint for them, as it will not "upset" the manufacturers that advertise in their magazine (S&V is the biggest pawn). Of course, any REAL "problems" will just get ignored while they focus on the "positive" points.

8. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    A number of Onkyo, Integra and Harman Kardon receivers have bass management for the external multichannel inputs, so I think it's a valid, if not major, complaint. I had the choice of two receivers, one with and one without the bass management feature and, knowing the state of bass management/time alignment on most affordable hi-res players, I opted for the receiver with the bass management feature (and if more manufacturers offered it, I'd wager people would choose it). However, I don't expect to see an expansion of offerings with this feature as everyone seems focused on using iLink or something similar to keep everything digital.

9. JasonLaz

JasonLaz Agent

Here is a vote for the Denon 3805. I have this powering my Def Tech speakers and I can safely say it is AWESOME for movies. I went around a did a lot of A/B testing between different receivers and for the money, I thought the Denon was the best bang for the buck...at least IMO. The only downside was that you had to buy the setup mic seperately since it wasn't included. For a $1200 MSRP receiver, I thought that was pretty dumb but oh well...

10. Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms Stunt Coordinator

I have the same questions as Burklund, regarding the comparison against the 4802. Has anyone heard this unit?

I have heard (from a salesman) that the 4802 is better suited for the audio side and the 3805 has more video related circuty. I am more concerned with the audio section. Also, the auto set up would be nice but it is not a big concern for me. I know my way around a radio shack SPL meter and can measure my own speaker distances.

I found a dealer in the LA area that has the 4802 on sale for $1499, that is $500 bucks off list. And they are a Denon dealer.