What's new

Denon 3805.....New model in the future? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Very true. About 4 years back, I sold off a DTS/DD receiver because it only had plain Jane Pro Logic on it. I desperately wanted Pro Logic II - the ability to recreate more channels out of a 2-channel source captivated me.

Well, this desire put me on the upgrade path. 4 years ... and 7 or so receivers later, I'm still playing around with different models/brands to see what I really like.

Looking back, I wouldn't put Pro Logic II or IIx on my list of desires. Out of the past four years, I don't think I've used it more than 30 minutes total - for all of the receivers I've owned. I've found that DTS Neo:6 does what I desire it to, and much cleaner than PL II/IIx. Again, that's just my opinion.

If I was a person that didn't need the auto setup/EQ features, I'd look for a used receiver that could provide DTS/DD/DTS Neo:6 capabiliities and call it done. Who knows, looking for such a receiver might provide one with what was once a flagship receiver a few years back at a pretty attractive price nowadays.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, my budget is considerably lower than yours, but on my Onkyo 502, Neo:6 can not be applied to Dolby Digital signals. I generally shy away from surround sound schemes, except when watching HDTV-- there are still a few channels that supply only a Dolby Digital 2:0 signal. Hence, I find myself using the Prologic II modes more often than the Neo:6 modes.

But perhaps that limitation results from a lack of DSP power, rather than from licensing restrictions.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think I have gone full circle. I tend to use DTS Neo:6 on 2 channel sources that are really stereo only with no surround.

If it has surround, Denon 7.1 Widescreen is the bomb as far as I am concerned. I feel I loose so little from my DLP laserdiscs from even true multi-channel stuff. I don't even use AC3 hardly ever anymore even when the Disc has it as it becomes a little bit of a switching PITA for me to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks